community

Forum

Hen been badly peck...

Notifications
Clear all

Hen been badly pecked not sure what has happened.

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Today i went into the loft to feed as normal and a hen was sitting in a corner looking in a bad way, i picked her up and around both eyes was blood, she was lying on the floor and appears to only be able to stand on one leg. she was sitting on a nest the previous day and laid one egg yesterday which was cracked so i chucked it and replaced it with a dummy and still even managed to lay one today.

Situation in the loft at the minute is there is currently another pair sitting on eggs, these are on the floor in another corner, these laid about a week ago, i have four breeding boxes, three have nest bowls in and one other pair look like they might pair these are in the top box, the injured bird with its cock was in the box below.

I have not paired them up and just left them to it, I have nine birds in total.

So the question is what could have happened, could the cock have done it or is it more likely to be a jealous hen that has not paired up. I have separated the hen at the minute but to be honest she looks like she won't make it she's that bad. 

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Posted by: @paul1

Today i went into the loft to feed as normal and a hen was sitting in a corner looking in a bad way, i picked her up and around both eyes was blood, she was lying on the floor and appears to only be able to stand on one leg. she was sitting on a nest the previous day and laid one egg yesterday which was cracked so i chucked it and replaced it with a dummy and still even managed to lay one today.

Situation in the loft at the minute is there is currently another pair sitting on eggs, these are on the floor in another corner, these laid about a week ago, i have four breeding boxes, three have nest bowls in and one other pair look like they might pair these are in the top box, the injured bird with its cock was in the box below.

I have not paired them up and just left them to it, I have nine birds in total.

So the question is what could have happened, could the cock have done it or is it more likely to be a jealous hen that has not paired up. I have separated the hen at the minute but to be honest she looks like she won't make it she's that bad. 

It does sound bad. She may still recover. It sounds like she probably went into the wrong box. More likely that than the other hen or cock going in hers. It wouldn’t have been her own cock. A cock will scalp a hen but only when first pairing up and if locked in a box together where the cock is over keen or the hen not ready to pair up. Yours have been allowed to find their own mates so wouldn’t have been that. I expect she went into the box above thinking it was hers. She has then probably have been set on by both the cock and hen. She may have caught her leg on something. It’s also very unlikely to be any of the other birds in the loft. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Sure she will recover they are sturdy little things, just watch her eyes are ok

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

I've been told it could be calcium deficiency causing the loss of legs, thinking about it now the first egg was very thin shelled so it could be calcium, i have ordered some calcium supplement from amazon, should get it tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Posted by: @paul1

I've been told it could be calcium deficiency causing the loss of legs, thinking about it now the first egg was very thin shelled so it could be calcium, i have ordered some calcium supplement from amazon, should get it tomorrow.

Calcium deficiency could cause the leg weakness. Could also make it difficult for her to fly. Can she fly at all Paul? If not then she may well have been set on by the pair that you have nesting on the floor. Birds nesting on the floor can be a real problem, stopping other birds going onto the floor. 

The laying of the eggs could possibly cause a calcium deficiency but never seen it myself. Do you have grit and minerals available? 

I have seen calcium deficiency many times in dairy cattle. This occurs in usually older cows at calving when there is an immediate demand for calcium to produce milk. Rarely happens more than 12 hours after calving. If not treated immediately it can result in the death of the cow. In relatively mild cases where the cow is just unable to stand a bottle of calcium under the skin puts them right. In severe cases where the cow is flat out, or even almost gone, a bottle straight in the vein is needed. I remember the first time I had to do this. I went to check the calvers first thing in the morning and found one that had calved during the night at deaths door. I knew I had to do it immediately and didn’t have time to wait for a vet. I found the jugular and put the needle in. Blood started flowing straight away. I then ran the bottle of calcium into her. What’s amazing is how quickly they respond. By the time I had finished putting the bottle into her she was sitting up and within 10 minutes was standing. 

Sorry I digress from the subject lol. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

Thanks Andy she managed to turn around during the night but still looks in a bad way, i have not seen her fly, i would be surprised she can. Not sure if she is drinking or eating, she is still lying on the floor. I plan to have a better look at her eyes, i think she can see so not too worried about them, i am more worried about her leg at the minute. 

i think when this calcium supplement arrives i will syringe some down her and see if there is any improvement. I do put redstone grit down but i don't think now it has a high calcium level, not as high as normal grit anyway.

Interesting to hear about the cows, we watch all the farming programs on TV and find them fascinating, but looks hard work.

ReplyQuote
Bryngwynt
(@bryngwynt)
Famed Member Registered

Osteocare in the water, during the breeding season.You can get it from Supermarket or Holland & Barrett.

ReplyQuote