Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Broken Leg  

lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Noble Member Registered
24/07/2020 9:16 am  

Hi Guys, never having a bird with a broken leg, i now have two! Bad toss with ybs y-day; two broken legs,  one ripped breast and 5 missing. How long do i keep the splint on the birds? Thanks

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
24/07/2020 9:51 am  

Leslie, few years ago I had one come back from a toss with a broken leg. It was just on dark, it was lying on the patio roof. I climbed up and got it.

I made a splint out of a ball point pen, it healed up over a few weeks, and was flying as good as gold. Smile  

Then I put it back in the young bird team, sent it to a toss, never saw it again.

It isn't the injury that wrecks them. Its the memory of the falcon that chased them into a fence.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
24/07/2020 11:08 am  

I’ve had a couple with broken legs the last couple of years. I didn’t splint them I just put them in a nest box with plenty of draw. They both took a couple of weeks to start putting weight on it. Both were fine. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
24/07/2020 11:40 am  

Usually around 6 weeks to heal properly but as Andy said couple weeks before putting weight on it, nest box plenty straw or use pen as Muzza said or some match sticks or similar

ReplyQuote
Potter29
(@potter29)
24/07/2020 5:51 pm  

Or dispose of them , iv had it a few times and as alredy said they never get  over the Memory of it happening and are usually lost the next time there in the basket , worth a try tho if there well bred and worth keepin for breeding , atb 

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
24/07/2020 6:48 pm  

Our Hen GB 06N31768Broke her leg as a baby she went on to win 5 x 1st clubs and a first fed.

We don't splint ours and do the same as Andy box them up let them heal naturally most will mend straight ,if they are sticking out side wards they would have to go

ReplyQuote
PVDMR
(@pvdmr)
Member Moderator
25/07/2020 7:51 am  

Place into a Nest box/hen box with deep straw add food/water to box fronts,leave it alone but keep an eye on it,had a few birds in the past arrive back with a broken leg/s...worked for me,never bothered with splints etc🙂

Atb

You can buy The Mans Winning pigeons BUT not the Man that flys them!!

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Noble Member Registered
25/07/2020 8:47 am  

Thanks guys for all the advice.

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
25/07/2020 12:13 pm  

Sorry to hear you had a bad trainer Leslie and that you are still 5 down, that's a choker for you mate. Looks like you got some good advice though, I hope they heal ok for you. I remember our Dad having one back years ago who had broken both legs, to this day I still don't know how he found the courage to land on the loft. I don't remember Dad doing anything with him other than rest, he healed fine although the legs were a little out of shape. He did race for several years afterwards but never won anything, Dad gave him to me in the end as one of my first stock birds 🤠

Most of the time physical injury will heal it is the psychological injury we can't see that often does the damage, that's where good stockmanship is essential as often there are signs of this that we miss. 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
25/07/2020 12:47 pm  
Posted by: @trench

Sorry to hear you had a bad trainer Leslie and that you are still 5 down, that's a choker for you mate. Looks like you got some good advice though, I hope they heal ok for you. I remember our Dad having one back years ago who had broken both legs, to this day I still don't know how he found the courage to land on the loft. I don't remember Dad doing anything with him other than rest, he healed fine although the legs were a little out of shape. He did race for several years afterwards but never won anything, Dad gave him to me in the end as one of my first stock birds 🤠

Most of the time physical injury will heal it is the psychological injury we can't see that often does the damage, that's where good stockmanship is essential as often there are signs of this that we miss. 

I bred dad that pigeon Trev. He broke his legs from a Stonehaven race, 431 miles. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
25/07/2020 3:00 pm  
Posted by: @andy123
Posted by: @trench

I bred dad that pigeon Trev. He broke his legs from a Stonehaven race, 431 miles. 

I didn't realise that Andy but now I think about it Dad didn't have many Red Checkers, did he come from the McDonald's you got from Tony ??? He and another Red plus his old 98 (Catrysse) were some of the first birds I had and helped found my original family. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
25/07/2020 3:49 pm  

@trench

I think he probably was Trev I can’t really remember. 

ReplyQuote