Forum

Advice requested on...

Notifications
Clear all

Advice requested on lost pigeon in SE England

Twiggy
(@twiggy)
Topic starter  

Hi, I’m not a pigeon racer but a racing pigeon seems to be stuck in my garden. I looked up the Royal Pigeon Racing society advice and followed its recommendation to give it water and bird seed and hope it continues its journey. I’m concerned though as it’s staying on the ground where it’s vulnerable to cats etc, although I can’t see anything wrong with the bird as such - looks entirely healthy. I think it stayed safe under our shed last night and is still wandering around on the ground this morning. What looks like a broken pigeon egg has appeared next to the shed this morning.

essentially I’m looking for advice on whether I should attempt to pick her up to look for contact details, or if I should just leave well alone and hope she flies off when she’s ready?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Hi Twiggy and thank you for contacting us, please catch the bird and read the full number on it's leg then report on the RPRA site where owner will be contacted and you will also receive owners details, there may be a telephone number ring on bird as well,  also if you open it's feathers out on wing and look underneath there may be contact details there

Once again many thanks for your help

Steve

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Sound advice Steve. Thank you twiggy for taking the time to help the pigeon out. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Andy123

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Twiggy
(@twiggy)
Topic starter  

Thank you so much - just trying to find an appropriate box for it and then will try to catch her 🙂

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @twiggy

Thank you so much - just trying to find an appropriate box for it and then will try to catch her 🙂

Crisp box or similar will suffice, will not really matter if smaller as long as can move about in it, put some air holes in any box used, I use a pet carrier for any strays I get in

This post was modified 2 months ago by Buster121

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Twiggy
(@twiggy)
Topic starter  

Thank you all, I’m now in contact with the owner who is in wales. We’re trying to work out how to get the pigeon back to him as he’s not able to get down to me in west Berkshire anytime soon. Is there anyone in the west Berkshire/Hampshire area that would be willing to look after a pigeon for a while until he can arrange pick up? As that will be a better environment for the bird than our box!

(I’ll post this appeal separately as well if that’s okay?)

many thanks to everyone for the help so far

ReplyQuote