Notifications
Clear all

Young bird canker treatment  

Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
Eminent Member Registered
20/05/2020 4:54 pm  

I've got a 6 week old YB with what looks like canker, a sore at the edge of its beak. Seems happy enough apart from getting hammered by his cock now they are back on chicks, feeding fine. I've separated it and I've got some Harker's 4 in 1 but it says not for under 8 weeks. So what to do, wait and treat later, use say a 75% dose, or what? Reading about trich, with 80% prevalence, do they bat it off or just live with it?

I'd like to treat the 3 breeding pairs but they have 4 week chicks, 7 day chicks, and 3 day chicks, none of the adults seem unwell or have signs, the 4 week chicks have been very watery for a week though.

Thanks for any pointers. If I can nurse this cohort though I will have restored my numbers back to my starting 12 from a year ago, although I have to say one of the white "Logan" cocks is getting on my nerves, hes a sex pest, is a pain in the arse chasing the others off the landing board and sees about 5 perching spots as his. He is of course robustly well 😡

jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
Estimable Member Registered
20/05/2020 5:54 pm  

I would very rarely treat a youngster and if in the nest with wet canker which is what it sounds like I would eliminate but at 6 weeks old it shouldn’t be in the nest if this has it then the rest will so flock treat with ronidozole or similar

for future reference when the pair old birds are sitting around 14 days treat for canker this will stop them wet feeding to start I also then when youngsters are about 14 days old give the old birds a tkk tablet or flagy tablet but once youngsters removed they are not treated they have to be robust enough to build there own immunity

canker does not only form in the mouth but throat anal and other organs causing multiple issues it’s the main cause of multiple problems lowering the immune system to let them in along with coxi keep on top of these and the rest is normally straight forward 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
20/05/2020 8:19 pm  

Good advice from John

I have never heard of or seen canker on the beak and if the birds are eating ok and looking well I'd be surprised if it has got canker, you will certainly see it on the inside of the mouth and throat if it has and you will smell it too. 

These days I personally only treat for anything if absolutely necessary, I did use the 4 in 1 treatment a couple of years ago but the birds went sick within days of treatment. If I was to treat annually I would use Harkers coxoid, wormer and harkanker before pairing up and would spray for lice etc if I needed to.

In your situation I would give the whole loft a 5 day course of Harkanker.

https://www.harkersonline.co.uk/product/treatments/harkanker-soluble-canker-treatment/

As for your very dominant white Logan cock bird every loft has one like him, you will just have to learn to love him or race him 🤠👍 I personally love birds like that although they can cause problems, hopefully when your numbers go up he will find it more difficult to stay on top. 

This post was modified 4 days ago 2 times by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
21/05/2020 9:26 am  

Saul, I think you will do well to listen to jmccall. He gives some very good advice here. 

I have not treated my pigeons for canker for some years, but, in the first couple of years with this loft and family of pigeons, I had to treat them. The pigeons obviously came from other sources, and carried canker and cocci, at normal levels. In a clean shed, the pigeons seemed to be vulnerable to infections.

I do suspect that a new colony of pigeons, in a new loft, will have issues. I think it takes a while for a loft to build a 'Group immunity',  so to speak. The loft has to get dirty enough with the germs specific to that loft, and the pigeons have to build an immunity to those threats.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
21/05/2020 9:47 am  

Having said that, if you find that you are having the same problem recurring next year, the following year, and the year after that, you have a problem.

It is not natural. I am 64 years old and have taken antibiotics a handful of times in my life. Hate the things. If you are having to give antibiotics and antimicrobial drugs to pigeons that are not under any stress, continually, there is an issue.

I am convinced that issue is the loft.

I slept last night in our soft, warm bed, and woke up at 6.00 am ready to start another day. I could have spent the night shivering under the patio while the rain tipped down. And soon after been at the Chemist, discussing cold remedies.

Good pigeons are great. A good loft is greater.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
21/05/2020 10:20 pm  

If Its on the beak it may have been beaten up and cut its beak, at that age it takes a realy good parent to tolerate a fully grown YB in its nest box, we tend to get them away at about 3 1/2 weeks old some people  do it younger but with us we watch to see that they are eating properly. Of course that's ok if you have a separate section for YB's. As for treating for Canker we use DAC cocci/canker called combi powder we get it  from  pallets its in a green packet. 

ReplyQuote
Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
Eminent Member Registered
23/05/2020 10:53 pm  

Thanks for the advice, Ill get a photo tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
24/05/2020 8:32 am  
Posted by: @muzza

Saul, I think you will do well to listen to jmccall. He gives some very good advice here. 

I have not treated my pigeons for canker for some years, but, in the first couple of years with this loft and family of pigeons, I had to treat them. The pigeons obviously came from other sources, and carried canker and cocci, at normal levels. In a clean shed, the pigeons seemed to be vulnerable to infections.

I do suspect that a new colony of pigeons, in a new loft, will have issues. I think it takes a while for a loft to build a 'Group immunity',  so to speak. The loft has to get dirty enough with the germs specific to that loft, and the pigeons have to build an immunity to those threats.

Very good point there Muzza 👍

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
24/05/2020 8:35 am  
Posted by: @stevekulpa

If Its on the beak it may have been beaten up and cut its beak, at that age it takes a realy good parent to tolerate a fully grown YB in its nest box, we tend to get them away at about 3 1/2 weeks old some people  do it younger but with us we watch to see that they are eating properly. Of course that's ok if you have a separate section for YB's. As for treating for Canker we use DAC cocci/canker called combi powder we get it  from  pallets its in a green packet. 

I agree Steve, on the beak is much more likely to be an injury. Thanks for the advice on the powder you use sounds like a good option. As a matter of interest do you give it annually or just if needed ?? 

ReplyQuote