what do i feed feral pigeons, wild birds  

OptimusPrime
(@optimusprime)
Topic starter  

i need some help to give the birds the correct balanced diet
i get many wild feral pigeons with doves, wood pigeon, sparrows in my garden

the only bird food i give them is a bag of wild bird seed
the bag contains seeds, bits of sunflower seeds and suet the little pink bits
it costs around £6 or so for i think for a 12.5kg bag, a family member collects it from home bargains store

i think i may be giving to many seeds and worried over eating on just mainly seeds is not great

am in the uk
i dont have the patience to shop around online as am busy, also i not know what am doing either could buy wrong food mix

anyone that know please what i should be feeding please give me some links to the correct bird seed bags i should be buying please?
the size of my seed container i put the food in will hold around 12.5 kg
again am in uk so if someone be kind to link me some foods thats not to expensive please be great

killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Mate I know you mean well by feeding them ,but it’s those birds that make a mess on other peoples roofs etc that gives us racing guys a bad name ,our birds are in the loft or in the air ,then feed in our lofts so not to upset people around us , cheers 

ReplyQuote
OptimusPrime
(@optimusprime)
Topic starter  

no one else complained to me the mess is mainly only in my garden they eat and leave

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

The feed you are giving is more than ok, I was actually going to say as a reply most supermarkets sell wild bird feed, B&M actually do a bigger size for only couple pounds more than what you pay now

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered

Yes, if you look around you can find wild bird mixes for a good price. 

Also, sometimes a grain store or hardware store will have pigeon mixes in 20 kilo bags, which works out quite inexpensive. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

What you are feeding is fine. As a guide in our Pet Shop we sell a variety of bird seeds. A standard wild bird that contains a lot of wheat. Ok for the pigeons and doves but generally left by the small birds. A premier wild bird which is wheat free and also contains sunflower hearts. A robin mix containing dried mealworms, a songbird containing raisins, a energy no mess mix with added suet pellets. Also sell individual grains like black sunflower, nyger, peanuts and the most popular for nearly all wild birds sunflower hearts. Plus fat balls, and suet blocks and pellets. As you can see there is a vast range of seeds available.

But as said a basic mix is fine, they will pick out what they want and require. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @andy123

What you are feeding is fine. As a guide in our Pet Shop we sell a variety of bird seeds. A standard wild bird that contains a lot of wheat. Ok for the pigeons and doves but generally left by the small birds. A premier wild bird which is wheat free and also contains sunflower hearts. A robin mix containing dried mealworms, a songbird containing raisins, a energy no mess mix with added suet pellets. Also sell individual grains like black sunflower, nyger, peanuts and the most popular for nearly all wild birds sunflower hearts. Plus fat balls, and suet blocks and pellets. As you can see there is a vast range of seeds available.

But as said a basic mix is fine, they will pick out what they want and require. 

So there you have it, from the man who knows. Grin  

Thanks for sharing that information, Andy. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)
Reputable Member Registered

Posted by: @optimusprime

i need some help to give the birds the correct balanced diet
i get many wild feral pigeons with doves, wood pigeon, sparrows in my garden

the only bird food i give them is a bag of wild bird seed
the bag contains seeds, bits of sunflower seeds and suet the little pink bits
it costs around £6 or so for i think for a 12.5kg bag, a family member collects it from home bargains store

i think i may be giving to many seeds and worried over eating on just mainly seeds is not great

am in the uk
i dont have the patience to shop around online as am busy, also i not know what am doing either could buy wrong food mix

anyone that know please what i should be feeding please give me some links to the correct bird seed bags i should be buying please?
the size of my seed container i put the food in will hold around 12.5 kg
again am in uk so if someone be kind to link me some foods thats not to expensive please be great

Actually my friend the 12.5kl bag from b&m bargins you use is what i have been useing for many months since i have been closeing our loft down...the 4 birds i have left are in topclass condition having superb moult even though 13/15 years old...i  aim to photo their wings over xmas for KILLER to comment on so its cheap and does the job,,,but do yourself and your nextdoor neighbours at good turn and make sure you clean all food up before it gets dark otherwise you will have a serious rat problem

ReplyQuote