Clear all

Nutrition for racing pigeons

Page 1 / 3

devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Nutrition basics

• Carbohydrate. Grains and seeds containing starch are consumed, ground down in the gizzard, passed to the intestine and...
  • Fats. While glucose is important for explosive movement and brain function (to name a few), fat is without a doubt the...
  • Fibre. While fibre may not be as important to the pigeon compared with carbohydrate, fat or protein as far as flight is...
  • Protein. As an important component of the central nervous system, protein is essential for the healthy growth.

Feeding & Nutrition (racingpigeonsport.com)

This topic was modified 5 days ago 2 times by devo56

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

I did enjoy reading that.

Long ago I stopped believing that there is a secret to feeding pigeons. 

There are many, many successful pigeon racers, and they all feed differently.

Lately, I have been looking at the 'Jos Thone Olympic' mixture from Beyers. Jos wanted a mixture that could be fed all year around. I find that it is quite similar to my mix that I feed mine all year round. 

By offering some extra peas for the nestlings, and a little extra maize for training, it seems adequate.

I reckon any diet with a balance of carbs, fats, and protein will do. 

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@murray   Can only agree with you Murray, i do think you can feed to win.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

I think some fanciers put to much emphasis on feeding saying that if you don’t get the art of feeding right you won’t win. What a load of rubbish. If this was the case there wouldn’t be so many different mixes and so many different ways of feeding. There isn’t much difference in protein, carbohydrates etc in different grains. Some are a bit higher than others but to make any difference you would have to feed only one grain. If you feed a mixture of different grains they will get all they need. As long as it’s a good quality and kept dry it will make no difference. 

It’s whether the birds are good enough that’s all that matters. Just my opinion. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@andy123   Like you say Andy, you have to have the birds to win races, but i also feel you have to feed the right balance of food for different distances. Fuel up to make sure they are not flying on Empty.

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

But what does it mean to fuel up?

Ad Shaerlaeckens said that peas have no place in a young bird's diet. 🤔

Yet we were taught to feed a diet heavy on legumes, and one good flyer told me that maize is old bird food. You shouldn't feed it to young birds, he said.

So, I am happy with what I feed, the birds are happy with what I feed, so everyone is happy.

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@murray  I have to say fuel up, is feeding the birds on basket day for the race they will take part in. Looking at distance, weather conditions and wind direction. Also is there a chance of a hold over?

This post was modified 5 days ago by devo56

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Once again, other people have said that filling them up on hampering day is wrong. Putting them in the box with a full crop is asking for trouble. These people say that the day prior to hampering is when they need to be loaded up. 

It's all food for thought, and who is to say what is right and what is wrong?

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@murray  First of all i would not give them a full crop, to enter the race basket. But looking at what the race is about Distance and wind direction. This is where the fine balance of feed is chosen, in order for the bird to race home but not hitting empty. Like you say is there a right or a wrong.

This post was modified 5 days ago by devo56

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

It's so interesting discussing this with you, George. You have a wealth of experience and it's good to bounce ideas around. 👍 

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@murray   I think its important to share information, that is good for the birds health. Also for the sport to continue and go forward. But i must say always the birds heath is paramount. Thank you for a good chat Murray, Nutrition is the fuel for the brain to engage in all we do.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

I think that there is a difference in feeding for sprint racing and distance racing and I don’t think anyone will dispute that. But I still think that on the whole it’s not rocket science. 

You say about fueling up George. I agree that this can work with short distance racing when marked in the evening and released next morning but wouldn’t make any difference in distance racing. When I raced widowhood in sprint/middle distance racing the birds would race every week and be kept on a light ration early week then fed as much as they wanted on the Wednesday and Thursday. By the end of the week they would be bouncing. On the Friday, marking day, they would eat very little as they didn’t want anything. This was fine when racing on the Saturday. How could you “fuel up” for a long distance race when they spend a few days in the basket. From Barcelona this could be 6 days of getting fed what ever they have on the transporter. Even from my shortest races they are marked on a Thursday morning and not released until Saturday morning or later if a holdover. 

A good mix of grains is all that’s needed as a maintenance mix. A few adjustments can be made if required. 

The point I was making about just needing the birds for the job George goes back to my farming days. I spent 25 years working on nutrition in dairy cattle. With the cows in my earlier years we would feed for yield giving a basic maintenance mix with added concentrates depending on how much milk they were giving. As the daily yield dropped during the lactation the amount of concentrates would be reduced. As the concentrates were reduced so the milk yield dropped so it was a downward spiral. In the later years when we going for much higher yields we just fed one ration through the whole lactation. The ration was made for an average yield of 50 litres per day. On that ration the best cows would do 80+ litres a day whilst some would only do around 30 litres. This would depend a lot on their stage of lactation. The higher yielding cows just ate a lot more of the ration. So I still think that the food has little to do with how pigeons perform. 

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@andy123   If you want me to go into the subject Andy, its all about knowing your birds. no matter what the distance is. You have birds in your loft, and you need to know what  that bird is about. I feel we have so many different thoughts on this subject, and we have different views but that is life. And i must say its all about what you get out of the sport.

This post was modified 4 days ago 2 times by devo56

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

@murray he certainly does and very helpful with it

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Posted by: @devo56

@andy123   If you want me to go into the subject Andy, its all about knowing your birds. no matter what the distance is. You have birds in your loft, and you need to know what  that bird is about. I feel we have so many different thoughts on this subject, and we have different views but that is life. And i must say its all about what you get out of the sport.

I agree with you mate that it is about knowing your pigeons and the distance involved. All I am saying is that on what ever feed you give them the best pigeons will perform whilst some won’t. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3