Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Feeding for the climate  

Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
04/06/2020 9:40 am  

It is only 4 days into winter, and this morning it was 0 degrees celcius. The wind chill was -3.7c

That means in the space of 6 months we have a 48c temperature range. That's about 120 F.

So all of a sudden my pigeons are finding the normal warm weather diet a bit light. They started hanging around the loft, looking for the feed. I have been giving them a bit of extra maize the last few days, but today I added more maize, milo, wheat and saff to the mixture in the bin.

Looks heavy on carbohydrates, and light on peas, but they ate that up and looked very content!

We think we are in for a colder, wetter winter. We have had twice the normal monthly rainfall up till June. Which is driving the local global warmists out of their minds! Laugh  

I think another part of the art of feeding is learning when to throw the usual feeding away, and feed to what is needed. If it is hot, they probably will appreciate a light feed, not heavy and hard to digest.

When it is very cold, they need lots of grains to keep them warm.

Anyway, they think this is ok, and all went to bed full and warm.

Regards

Murray.

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
04/06/2020 10:21 am  

I use a all rounder mix all year and just increase amounts in colder weather

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Estimable Member Registered
05/06/2020 8:01 am  
Posted by: @muzza

It is only 4 days into winter, and this morning it was 0 degrees celcius. The wind chill was -3.7c

That means in the space of 6 months we have a 48c temperature range. That's about 120 F.

So all of a sudden my pigeons are finding the normal warm weather diet a bit light. They started hanging around the loft, looking for the feed. I have been giving them a bit of extra maize the last few days, but today I added more maize, milo, wheat and saff to the mixture in the bin.

Looks heavy on carbohydrates, and light on peas, but they ate that up and looked very content!

We think we are in for a colder, wetter winter. We have had twice the normal monthly rainfall up till June. Which is driving the local global warmists out of their minds! Laugh  

I think another part of the art of feeding is learning when to throw the usual feeding away, and feed to what is needed. If it is hot, they probably will appreciate a light feed, not heavy and hard to digest.

Your post has got me curious, where are you from ?

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
05/06/2020 8:52 am  
Posted by: @mizmo

Your post has got me curious, where are you from ?

Mozambique.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
05/06/2020 8:59 am  

No, I live in Bendigo, which is exactly in the centre of the state of Victoria, on the south east coast of Australia.

Population 110,000, located 100 miles north of Melbourne.

A great place to live!

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
05/06/2020 12:22 pm  

@muzza wow such a beautiful place to live.  How are you having cold days now I'm confused .I would have thought it would be hot right now ?

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
05/06/2020 10:00 pm  

I tend to keep my feed pretty much the same all year round, I feed 3 mixes one of which I make up myself and they have beans in hopper all the time. My am mix is half Gem Supreme plus/half my mix and my pm mix is half Gem Concorde/half my mix. After racing I do change one of the mixes (Gem Supreme) to an all round mix until about February when I start to think about pairing up. 

Of course in the old days when you didn't have all these fancy mixes most fanciers just added barley to their winter mixes. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
05/06/2020 10:19 pm  
Posted by: @mizmo

@muzza wow such a beautiful place to live.  How are you having cold days now I'm confused .I would have thought it would be hot right now ?

No, Mizmo, it is the start of the southern hemisphere winter right now. It is the middle of summer and very hot at Christmas time.

Something to do with the angle of Earth's axis. Google it. Interesting. Smile  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
05/06/2020 10:31 pm  
Posted by: @trench

I tend to keep my feed pretty much the same all year round, I feed 3 mixes one of which I make up myself and they have beans in hopper all the time. My am mix is half Gem Supreme plus/half my mix and my pm mix is half Gem Concorde/half my mix. After racing I do change one of the mixes (Gem Supreme) to an all round mix until about February when I start to think about pairing up. 

Of course in the old days when you didn't have all these fancy mixes most fanciers just added barley to their winter mixes. 

I still don't feed 'all these fancy mixes', as Trev calls them. For most of the time mine get a simple 5 grain mix that I make myself. Nothing very flash, but they do well on it. I have added some extra maize and grain just now because we seem to be having a cold start to winter, and the birds seemed to be running a bit light.

I am a bit suspicious of people selling 'super pigeon mixes'. I sometimes wonder if they aren't more interested in the fast buck than the fast pigeon. Wink  

Some of the good old fanciers still feed a pretty plain diet, and are still very hard to beat. Makes you stop and think.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
06/06/2020 10:52 am  

@muzza you learn something new everyday . 

ReplyQuote