Notifications
Clear all

Feeding birds one type only

Page 1 / 2

Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

What do folks feel about just feeding birds with maize, I know they use it on the transporters but how long could it be used for as an only food and does anyone know if birds would get a staple  feeding with it or do they need a mixed feed, at present I am just feeding peas, beans and maize

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin

I think looking at this subject, i would say a mixed feed would be much better for the birds, Looking at the four seasons. Racing, resting, moult and breeding. Just my thoughts.

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

i don't like maize  in the feed  mix i have now has no maize birds clear it up more quickly 

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin

@george-morgan  I remember George, when i visited your home. You was sitting there picking the maize out of the feed.

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

@devo56 yes dev took ages now buy a mix with no maize costs few pounds more but worth it 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

I like maize in the mix myself. I wouldn’t feed it on it’s own though Buster. Although a good feed high in carbohydrates, which is great for energy, it would be a bit low on protein for growth and muscle development. 

As your birds don’t fly out George they probably don’t require maize but would if racing. Mine eat the maize first. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @devo56

I think looking at this subject, i would say a mixed feed would be much better for the birds, Looking at the four seasons. Racing, resting, moult and breeding. Just my thoughts.

I used to feed a good mix but since hopper feeding found they leave small stuff which then clogs hoppers up, I changed to peas, beans and maize buit lot of beans now are big and clogging up that is why I asked the question, also found since only feeding peas etc have not had to top my critter baits up

Thanks all for replies and help

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin

@buster121   Good topic mate, i think we all have different ways of feeding. But at the end of the day its what the birds enjoy. And also your own loft system. Good luck mate.

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Posted by: @buster121

I used to feed a good mix but since hopper feeding found they leave small stuff which then clogs hoppers up, I changed to peas, beans and maize buit lot of beans now are big and clogging up that is why I asked the question, also found since only feeding peas etc have not had to top my critter baits up

I think if your only going to use one grain you would probably be better using just beans rather than maize. Only because of the protein. I did hopper feed beans years ago. Just used a mix for trapping. 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @andy123
Posted by: @buster121

I think if your only going to use one grain you would probably be better using just beans rather than maize. Only because of the protein. I did hopper feed beans years ago. Just used a mix for trapping. 

How long did you just feed beans for Andy? and as winter birds not out so wouldn't be able to use small stuff for trapping

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Maize is very much a love it or hate it corn, there are successful fanciers that feed no maize and others that feed as much maize as they can and most modern mixes do contain several different types of maize. As said before I think half of the seeds in the modern mixes are just a license to print money and have no real benefit to the birds. As we have also said before we have to feed our birds according to what we expect them to achieve, in nature the birds will eat whatever seed/grain that they can than find which will often mean just one type, many of these birds will have to develop quickly in order to fly thousands of miles to their winter homes so in my humble opinion we should take a lot of our lessons from nature. Having said that I personally wouldn't feed Maize alone especially if racing but a basic mix of maize, beans and wheat with a bit of rape/linseed should give you all the birds need for muscle growth, engery and feather quality. Your mix sounds fine to me for what you are doing now Buster, a good all seasons mix should have all you need. 

Just my opinion 😉

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

knew  a fancier back in the 60s who fed only beans don't think he done any good racing 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @trench

Maize is very much a love it or hate it corn, there are successful fanciers that feed no maize and others that feed as much maize as they can and most modern mixes do contain several different types of maize. As said before I think half of the seeds in the modern mixes are just a license to print money and have no real benefit to the birds. As we have also said before we have to feed our birds according to what we expect them to achieve, in nature the birds will eat whatever seed/grain that they can than find which will often mean just one type, many of these birds will have to develop quickly in order to fly thousands of miles to their winter homes so in my humble opinion we should take a lot of our lessons from nature. Having said that I personally wouldn't feed Maize alone especially if racing but a basic mix of maize, beans and wheat with a bit of rape/linseed should give you all the birds need for muscle growth, engery and feather quality. Your mix sounds fine to me for what you are doing now Buster, a good all seasons mix should have all you need. 

Just my opinion 😉

Mine love maize even the young straight off weaning get it and devour it

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

In the 'old days' in New Zealand, blokes used to feed peas. Just peas.

Since everyone did, that's what everyone did. 

I knew a bloke 20 odd years ago, who, one year,  raced his young birds on maize for the whole season. That was because he had a heap of maize. 

A one grain diet can never fill all the nutritional needs of a pigeon, in my opinion. Having said that, pigeons are survivors and will get by on pretty much anything. 

If I was to simple down the feed to the very basics, I would feed 50 /50 peas and maize.

I

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

@buster121 if I remember rightly I hopper fed them for a couple of seasons to old and young. I broke my novice status winning the last short old bird race and 3 of the first 4 young bird races. The youngsters that year weren’t trained at all as I was so busy working and their first time in the basket was for the first race at 95 miles. I was racing natural then but changed to widowhood a couple of years later when my feeding changed. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2