Clear all

Bird with very watery droppings

Page 2 / 2

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

fully understand where you are coming from Andy but I just could not do it, the way i see it is that the bird is under my care and treating it for illness is just what i must do. Also as i am not racing the birds are more like pets , if i were racing to a competitive level then perhaps i might think different but i doubt it.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @trench
Posted by: @paul1

The bird is still holding out, if anything its droppings are a little better today, still runny but slightly firmer, having a look in its throat tonight i can see two or three small yellow balls right at the back of its throat, could this be the start of canker? is it possible that the stress of having cocci can trigger canker? 

I will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse get some canker treatment too.

Good to hear the bird seems to be improving Paul, it does sound a bit like Canker mate, if you have the Combi tablets coming don't they cover Canker too ??? I prefer to use the individual treatments if I need too but will only treat when required rather than treating annually. 

Hope you manage to get things sorted mate. 

No unfortunately the tablets only treat cocci, i was thinking of getting something like harkers four in one but have read bad things about it. i will order some canker tablets from pallats tonight, should still get them Tuesday.

Just had a look at what i have ordered and it does treat canker too so i should be ok.

This post was modified 4 months ago by Paul

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

fully understand where you are coming from Andy but I just could not do it, the way i see it is that the bird is under my care and treating it for illness is just what i must do. Also as i am not racing the birds are more like pets , if i were racing to a competitive level then perhaps i might think different but i doubt it.

Totally understand where your coming from Paul. As you say at this time they are only pets. I certainly wouldn’t knock you for what your doing. 

One of the hardest parts of this sport is having to decide at the end of each season, if you end up with too many, which ones stay and which have to go.

When racing your mindset does have to be a bit different. Space in the loft is of an optimum. It costs as much to keep a good one as a poor one. Also to keep improving the weaker ones need to be weeded out otherwise they could end up breeding and producing more inferior stock. 

Having said that those that do come through any illness will have a good immune system. Although I don’t treat for anything I also don’t get rid of birds as soon as they go off colour. They are given a chance to get through it themselves so strengthening their immune system. Racing will naturally weed the weaker ones out. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Posted by: @trench

The bird is still holding out, if anything its droppings are a little better today, still runny but slightly firmer, having a look in its throat tonight i can see two or three small yellow balls right at the back of its throat, could this be the start of canker? is it possible that the stress of having cocci can trigger canker? 

I will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse get some canker treatment too.

Good to hear the bird seems to be improving Paul, it does sound a bit like Canker mate, if you have the Combi tablets coming don't they cover Canker too ??? I prefer to use the individual treatments if I need too but will only treat when required rather than treating annually. 

Hope you manage to get things sorted mate. 

No unfortunately the tablets only treat cocci, i was thinking of getting something like harkers four in one but have read bad things about it. i will order some canker tablets from pallats tonight, should still get them Tuesday.

Just had a look at what i have ordered and it does treat canker too so i should be ok.

Hope it sorts them out for you mate 🤞🤞 

All the best

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

Bad news i'm afraid, it took a turn for the worse today, i tried to rehydrate it with a crop tube but it was to far gone and died. If i had already got the treatment and started treatment a couple of days ago it might have had a chance. At least i will have some meds in case i need them in the future.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Bad news i'm afraid, it took a turn for the worse today, i tried to rehydrate it with a crop tube but it was to far gone and died. If i had already got the treatment and started treatment a couple of days ago it might have had a chance. At least i will have some meds in case i need them in the future.

Sorry to hear that mate but these things happen to the best of us. I'm not sure those extra couple of days would have made too much difference personally, sounds like the bird wasn't going to make it anyway. Just keep a close eye on the others and if you have any suspicions then get them all treated. 

Let us know how things go mate, all the best. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

That is a shame Paul.

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin

Sorry to hear Paul, hope all your other birds are fit and well.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2