Clear all

Bird with very watery droppings

Page 1 / 2

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

One of my white pigeons has had very watery droppings for the last few days, it's still eating but looks under the weather sitting on the floor with feathers ruffled, all the other birds are fine so i don't think its spreading but i am isolating this bird anyway more so i can keep a close eye on it. 

My concern at the minute is even though its eating it is losing weight so i need to get more food in its crop, what do i need? I was thinking of doing a droppings test on the birds but as it seems to be affecting only one bird would there be any benefit?

Just for info I have changed food last week and have also had a hawk attack around the time this started.

Any other advice?

rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

changing food can upset birds were did you get the new corn from

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

its from the local farm shop, its their own mix, i have had it before but not with these birds.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

just to add its now isolated and i have seen it eating, not sure how much is ending up in its crop.

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin

Paul is it throwing its last flight, This can be a stressful time for birds.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

It sounds as though it could be cocci. I wouldn’t try to false feed it anything. It could also be as Rainbow said something in the feed. It could be a poor grain or contaminated one that is the problem, although you would probably have more poorly if that was the case. 

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @devo56

Paul is it throwing its last flight, This can be a stressful time for birds.

No mate it moulted quite a while ago.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @andy123

It sounds as though it could be cocci. I wouldn’t try to false feed it anything. It could also be as Rainbow said something in the feed. It could be a poor grain or contaminated one that is the problem, although you would probably have more poorly if that was the case. 

You could be onto something there Andy, reading about cocci it does sound very similar to what i have, but the other birds are fine so can only one bird be affected as it's supposed to be contagious?

I am happy that the bird is eating and drinking so as to the next step, treat for cocci or get a droppings test done? I could order the cocci treatment and have it by tuesday maybe, if i do a droppings test any treatment could be delayed whilst i wait for the results.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Although as most know I’m not one for treating, but in your position I would treat for cocci. Won’t do any harm. It is quite contagious but you have it isolated so shouldn’t be able to spread it. Cocci would be spread by them eating contaminated corn. One eating corn that had droppings from an infected bird on it. Even after treatment don’t put it back in with your others for a few days. Just to make sure it’s not still passing anything. 

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

Ok thanks Andy will do.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

right i have ordered combi tabs from pallats, they should be here tuesday, i might ring the farm shop tomorrow and see if they stock anything, i know they stock dog and cat meds so it's worth a call.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Hi Paul sorry to hear one of your birds is poorly, hope it picks up ok soon. Just to add my opinion I think it could well be shock after the hawk made an appearance as only the one bird has shown any symptoms, however you may well find that others could still go down with it so giving them the cocci treatment is still a good plan. I wouldn't worry too much about how much its eating at the moment as long as its drinking, it will eat when it's ready. 

All the best. 

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

The bird is still holding out, if anything its droppings are a little better today, still runny but slightly firmer, having a look in its throat tonight i can see two or three small yellow balls right at the back of its throat, could this be the start of canker? is it possible that the stress of having cocci can trigger canker? 

I will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse get some canker treatment too.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

It does sound like it is getting over the cocci, if that’s what it was. It could be a bit of canker starting. Stress can certainly bring canker on. It won’t hurt to treat for both.

Personally though, and I know a lot of people wouldn’t agree with me, and please don’t take this the wrong way, or think I am saying that this is what you should do, but I would have got rid of the bird. As you know I don’t treat for anything and have never treated for canker. I can honestly say that in my 40+ years of keeping pigeons I have only had 2 birds with canker. One back in the 80s and a youngster on weaning early this year. Both were immediately got rid of. I just feel it is a sign of weakness and especially as my main aim is the extreme distance I can’t afford to have any weakness. Just my way though. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Posted by: @paul1

The bird is still holding out, if anything its droppings are a little better today, still runny but slightly firmer, having a look in its throat tonight i can see two or three small yellow balls right at the back of its throat, could this be the start of canker? is it possible that the stress of having cocci can trigger canker? 

I will keep an eye on it and if it gets worse get some canker treatment too.

Good to hear the bird seems to be improving Paul, it does sound a bit like Canker mate, if you have the Combi tablets coming don't they cover Canker too ??? I prefer to use the individual treatments if I need too but will only treat when required rather than treating annually. 

Hope you manage to get things sorted mate. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2