Notifications
Clear all

Found Pigeon: Hove, GB 17 v 66273  

BrightonRock
(@brightonrock)
New Member Registered
01/05/2019 8:40 pm  

Hi all,

On the eve of Thursday 26th May, during a stormy night in Hove, a racing pigeon took refuge by our bins out the front. It looked fairly distressed on its first night and wouldn't fly. We've been leaving out oat biscuits and seed out for it and a bowl of water. Over a couple of days it started to spread it's wings and is now confidently flying, but still returns to a window ledge on the front of our house.

It's number is GB 17 v 66273. Can anyone help us locate the owner?

Also could we have some advice on how best to look after our new friend until they are reunited with their owner?

BR

Edit: Full number added

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
01/05/2019 9:06 pm  

Hi
You can put on the full ring number, no one would claim a pigeon that wasn’t theirs. You can report it through the RPRA website and they will contact the owner for you and let you know where it comes from.
You have done the right thing so far. There is a good chance that in a day or two it will head off for home itself. It sounds like it’s getting stronger every day.
Well done for caring for it and thank you.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
01/05/2019 11:03 pm  

You can feed it rice or seed if you have any, keep it safe away from cats etc, well done on taking the time to look after it and find the owner, here is the email for the RPRA

https://www.rpra.org/stray-reporting/ or telephone number Tel: 01452 713529

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
02/05/2019 12:41 am  

Hi Brighton Rock and welcome to the forum.
Andy and Buster have already given you the information you need, I just wanted to add my thanks for the time and care you have taken in careing for one of our lost birds. Hope you manage to find its owner and the bird is back in its home loft soon.
Please let us know what happens and if you need any more help or advice.
All the best.

ReplyQuote
BrightonRock
(@brightonrock)
New Member Registered
02/05/2019 3:16 pm  

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and advice. I had a long held belief that feeding rice to pigeons causes them to explode!

We've contacted the RPRA and changed the initial post to include the full number. Hopefully we can reunite them but it will sad to say goodbye to our new friend.

BR

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
02/05/2019 4:15 pm  

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and advice. I had a long held belief that feeding rice to pigeons causes them to explode!

We've contacted the RPRA and changed the initial post to include the full number. Hopefully we can reunite them but it will sad to say goodbye to our new friend.

BR

Rice is good for them as it helps keep them hydrated, agree will be hard to say goodbye, they do grow on you don't they, you never know you may decide to have some yourself in the future or find someone in your area who you could help out and get to know birds etc

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
02/05/2019 11:20 pm  

Hi all,

BR

Well done and many thanks again, hope the bird gets home safely. They are wonderful little creatures and each one has its own character.
Very best wishes.

ReplyQuote
BrightonRock
(@brightonrock)
New Member Registered
07/05/2019 9:29 pm  

Hi all,

Thanks again for the advise and good wishes. We've been feeding her the bird feeding balls that you can buy and which she gulps down.

We've contacted the owner who suggested seeing if Pidge can find her own way back before they engage a courier. Were it the case that the owner would be happy for her to stay here, what would be the minimum set up to keep her contented? Would a bird be content on their own? She tends to fly away in the day and return in the evening.

How do you think she's looking?

We're slightly concerned about a permanent ruffle on the back of their neck. Could this be a sign of an injury?

Thanks again,

BR

ReplyQuote
Eastyorkflyer
(@eastyorkflyer)
Reputable Member Registered
07/05/2019 9:42 pm  

A rabbit hutch is perfect and feed is cheap but he will probably return home soon as he feels well enough don't worry about the mark it doesn't appear to be anything bad to me , and thanks again for caring enough in a world where sadly very few do nowadays 👌👏👏👏

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
07/05/2019 10:21 pm  

A rabbit hutch is perfect and feed is cheap but he will probably return home soon as he feels well enough don't worry about the mark it doesn't appear to be anything bad to me , and thanks again for caring enough in a world where sadly very few do nowadays 👌👏👏👏

Hear hear agree 100%

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
07/05/2019 10:34 pm  

Completely agree with both the suggestion and sentiment.
She looks in pretty good condition but looking at the way she is holding her wings she obviously isn't quite there yet. She will be fine on her own, all she needs is food and water. You could give her wild bird seed and some pet shops do sell small bags a pigeon corn for the doves.
Just out of interest where does she come from, ???
Thanks once again and keep us updated.
All the best.

ReplyQuote
BrightonRock
(@brightonrock)
New Member Registered
08/05/2019 12:46 am  

That's great. Thanks guys.

ReplyQuote