Don’t know why we b...

Notifications
Clear all

Don’t know why we bother sometimes  

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
04/04/2019 12:41 am  

One of the downsides of having an open loft is the number of strays I get in. I had another one in the day before yesterday. It is national rung and has an ETS ring on with a mobile phone number.
I like to try to contact the owners and try to get them back home. So this evening I phoned the owner up. The phone signal wasn’t very good and the owner was foreign and didn’t speak very good English. He had someone else with him who was trying to translate. I couldn’t hear or understand anything much that they were trying to say except “you can keep it if you like”. In the end I gave up and told them that I would toss it up in a couple of days. I couldn’t even work out where they came from. I don’t like killing healthy pigeons just because they have made a mistake. I have found very few people willing to get their birds back. It must be one that has just started training this year.

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
04/04/2019 8:25 am  

People like that really get my goat, they don't deserve to have them I would report it to RPRA, part of having is to be a responsible owner

ReplyQuote
Petedav
(@petedav)
04/04/2019 10:05 am  

Had similar last year, I got a stray in with a telephone ring on so I rang the fella and told him I had one of his pigeons in and he asked how I knew it was his so I told him it had his phone number on it, then I heard him say to his wife " the c#€t wants me to go and get it" so I just hung up the phone and rang the rpra and explained what he had said so they made him send for it. Turned out he lived quite near our next weeks race point and he could of collected from our transporter and saved the £45 courier.

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Noble Member Registered
04/04/2019 10:29 am  

Since i restarted last year i've had three strays in. All three were collected within 24hrs and all three were top flyers within their clubs. I think that's the answer to getting birds returned. 😀

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
bkays
(@bkays)
Estimable Member Registered
04/04/2019 11:46 am  

We installed a bunch of boxes in the garage for ill or very late returning pigeons.

When we raced we'd get many strays. Got sick and tired of ringing people up as most were a waste of time.

We started putting the stays in the boxes in the garage. I managed to save the life of quite a few who were at death's door. Only ever had two die and one of them had really bad internal bleeding and was pooing blood.

Some I've had to keep in for two-three weeks before I was happy enough to release them. I've even tested their dropping and treated them for worms etc when they've needed it.

I don't do it for the fancier but for the pigeon. If you love pigeons you'll help them no matter what.

Once we had two baskets full in two weeks. My uncle was a long distance lorry driver. So we'd look up the ring list and once the pigeon was ready and he was going in that direction he'd take them for us.

I think we used to get so many because of our pond with water fall. They'd come down to drink but couldn't then get back up to fly.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
05/04/2019 7:52 pm  

We installed a bunch of boxes in the garage for ill or very late returning pigeons.

When we raced we'd get many strays. Got sick and tired of ringing people up as most were a waste of time.

We started putting the stays in the boxes in the garage. I managed to save the life of quite a few who were at death's door. Only ever had two die and one of them had really bad internal bleeding and was pooing blood.

Some I've had to keep in for two-three weeks before I was happy enough to release them. I've even tested their dropping and treated them for worms etc when they've needed it.

I don't do it for the fancier but for the pigeon. If you love pigeons you'll help them no matter what.

Once we had two baskets full in two weeks. My uncle was a long distance lorry driver. So we'd look up the ring list and once the pigeon was ready and he was going in that direction he'd take them for us.

I think we used to get so many because of our pond with water fall. They'd come down to drink but couldn't then get back up to fly.

Love you're sentiments Ben, a true pigeon man.
I do agree though on the whole there do seem to be fewer and fewer fanciers wanting birds back and even fewer I would guess reporting them in the first place.
Having said that I have reported several since starting up again and most of the fanciers did get back to me and the birds were either picked up or sent for with a couple making their own way back.
I came home today to find a national wrung yearling in the loft which I will have to report, trouble with the national wrung one's you don't seem to be able to report them on line so it will have to wait until Monday now.

ReplyQuote