Notifications
Clear all

Very young bird with possible broken toe

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

I have a young bird that's now about a month old, out the the two that hatched this one is tiny compared with its nest mate, so much so that i have removed it from the loft so it gets more food as i think the parents were mainly feeding the bigger chick, its doing ok and feeding itself fine.

The problem i have is just before i removed it from the loft it fell about 4-5ft from its nest box to the floor, its using its leg so that's not broke, what i did notice today was that on the leg its limping on one toe is bluish and bruised, not sure whether to leave it be or try and splint it, looking on google someone suggested  gluing the broken toe to the one next to it so it heals.

DSC 0255

Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Maybe just badly bruised Paul, if you glued it, it may stop it walking as may lose balance, if was mine would just leave and see what happens after all a 5' fall for a baby that size is probably like us falling off a block of flats

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

Thanks i think i will leave it be and see how it goes, i did think gluing the toes together a bit extreme. It does seem to hobble about ok and is feeding and drinking ok, in fact its probably weaned better than its nest mate even though its tiny in comparison, my daughter has named him stumpy as its so small 😀 

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

Paul I have found in the past with pigeon legs  toes the bones are soft and don't really break and do heal that is what I have found

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @paul1

Thanks i think i will leave it be and see how it goes, i did think gluing the toes together a bit extreme. It does seem to hobble about ok and is feeding and drinking ok, in fact its probably weaned better than its nest mate even though its tiny in comparison, my daughter has named him stumpy as its so small 😀 

Meant to say as well could be smaller due to being a hen

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @buster121

I don't think so, here is stumpy with its nest mate. There is quite a difference as you can see. 

DSC 0261

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @buster121

I don't think so, here is stumpy with its nest mate. There is quite a difference as you can see. 

DSC 0261

For sure there is, would still let it carry on and see how it goes

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Paul, leaving the little one for a minute, the bigger one is not very impressive either.

Tough love. 

If you want to breed racing pigeons, become colour blind. Get some babies off some local successful racing pigeons. 

Blue, red, mealy, pied, it doesn't matter. 

Those white pigeons appear to have been bred for colour above other considerations. 

It will, I suspect, lead you nowhere.  

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote