Notifications
Clear all

New to Keeping Pigeons

Kudgen
(@kudgen)
Topic starter  

Hi!

Hoping you are all well!

My partner's grandfather was a regular pigeon racer and I'm looking to start myself by keeping one or two fancy pigeons as indoor pets, possibly moving into shows or racing in the future.  I used to help keep fancy rats and show them but I've never kept a bird before.

I had a few questions that I've struggled to look up for that would be okay.  If this is the wrong section or not a forum for the pet keeping side, please delete this post.

1.  Would an apartment space (decent sized, not studio flat) be an okay size to keep two fancy pigeons, likely fantails?  The intention is to have a large, cage for sleeping in with a few hanging perches and let the birds chill in the flat for most of the day, if that sounds like they'd be happy with that.

2. I've heard pigeon dust is a health issue for full racer lofts but is it a problem for only a couple of indoor birds?  Extra hoovering and frequent access to water baths would be fine.

Thank you!

Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @kudgen

Hi!

Hoping you are all well!

My partner's grandfather was a regular pigeon racer and I'm looking to start myself by keeping one or two fancy pigeons as indoor pets, possibly moving into shows or racing in the future.  I used to help keep fancy rats and show them but I've never kept a bird before.

I had a few questions that I've struggled to look up for that would be okay.  If this is the wrong section or not a forum for the pet keeping side, please delete this post.

1.  Would an apartment space (decent sized, not studio flat) be an okay size to keep two fancy pigeons, likely fantails?  The intention is to have a large, cage for sleeping in with a few hanging perches and let the birds chill in the flat for most of the day, if that sounds like they'd be happy with that.

2. I've heard pigeon dust is a health issue for full racer lofts but is it a problem for only a couple of indoor birds?  Extra hoovering and frequent access to water baths would be fine.

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the site, myself I would never have birds flying freely in house not only dust but droppings as well to contend with

ask as many questions as you wish we have many people who will reply and help as much as possible

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote