Notifications
Clear all

Sprouting Barley  

Page 2 / 2

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
28/07/2019 8:15 pm  

If your wanting to sprout it I would see if you can obtain some off the field before being dried at all. My figures may be wrong as I was a dairy farmer and not arable but it will be around what I’m saying.
I think it will be harvested at around 20% moisture content. Much drier and the grain could be shattered by the Combine. After being combined it will by dried to below 13.5% moisture. If dried too much this is when the kernels will be killed. Malting Barley will be stored at a higher moisture content as it is required to sprout during fermentation and be softer. This wouldn’t be stored very long before use. Barley that is intended for feeding, usually crushed or rolled, almost turns into a flour so needs to be much drier. This Barley is very unlikely to germinate. This will also then usually be treated with insecticide to prevent weevils.
So in answer to your question John I would either be looking at getting a malting Barley or some off the field before being dried.

You are right Andy but they combine now at around 16% or the farmer get penalised due to drying costs at the mill 😕 😕 They do however treat the grains that will be used as seed corn without any further drying.

We had driers on the farm Trev, so the grain was dried before storage and then after it had been dried and stored it was collected.
That was a long time ago though. Probably 25 years ago 😂😂😂 as since then I only worked on dairy farms.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
28/07/2019 8:24 pm  

If your wanting to sprout it I would see if you can obtain some off the field before being dried at all. My figures may be wrong as I was a dairy farmer and not arable but it will be around what I’m saying.
I think it will be harvested at around 20% moisture content. Much drier and the grain could be shattered by the Combine. After being combined it will by dried to below 13.5% moisture. If dried too much this is when the kernels will be killed. Malting Barley will be stored at a higher moisture content as it is required to sprout during fermentation and be softer. This wouldn’t be stored very long before use. Barley that is intended for feeding, usually crushed or rolled, almost turns into a flour so needs to be much drier. This Barley is very unlikely to germinate. This will also then usually be treated with insecticide to prevent weevils.
So in answer to your question John I would either be looking at getting a malting Barley or some off the field before being dried.

You are right Andy but they combine now at around 16% or the farmer get penalised due to drying costs at the mill 😕 😕 They do however treat the grains that will be used as seed corn without any further drying.

We had driers on the farm Trev, so the grain was dried before storage and then after it had been dried and stored it was collected.
That was a long time ago though. Probably 25 years ago 😂😂😂 as since then I only worked on dairy farms.

I think most the big boys still have driers Andy, just us small fry that don't Grin

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2