Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Spoke to Belgica today

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I phoned Belgica de Weerd this morning to talk about the problems I’ve had with the pigeons mainly regards to the losses in training.

The chap I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable and I went over all the issues I’ve had in regard to the fat eye back in September and the droppings not being quite right during the winter. He did ask whether I had treated for the normal worms and canker. I was perfectly honest and said that I didn’t treat for anything. He asked whether they were flying well around home. I told him that they had been and hadn’t shown any gaping or breathlessness when landing. 

I told him that the pigeons looked and handled well and their throats seemed clear, but couldn’t understand why I had lost so many on their first trainer at only 18 miles when many had flown the channel up to 350 miles. 

He didn’t think it sounded as though there was an underlying health problem particularly. He thought that I may have just been terribly unlucky with a bad hawk attack which may have left them traumatised. But he also couldn’t understand how none of the missing ones hadn’t made their way back after a few days. 

He didn’t think that testing would be of much benefit especially the basic test that would be done here in the U.K. and the results back next day. That would really only be for worms. The more intensive test would be much more expensive and would have to be sent over to Holland and would take up to a fortnight to get any results back.

Although he appreciated that I didn’t like treating blind, I told him that I wanted to rule everything out before trying to race them. We agreed to give them a course of antibiotics just to clear anything that maybe there. So he is sending me 2 different treatments that will arrive tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what happens and whether it makes any difference. At least when I do race it will be in the knowledge that health wise there is nothing wrong.

I will keep members informed. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

I hate saying this, as I have seen it turn normal people into fanatics, but maybe you could get a microscope and start looking for cocci, and canker etc.

A microscope in the wrong hands is a recipe for disaster, as some people end up spending more time staring at the droppings than caring for the pigeons. Honest.

Might be worth a thought.

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Hope they clear things up Andy and they return to normal, myself as said before could just be over run with cocci which can and does affect them in that way, and a combi powder for about 3 days which does lower it

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

did you mention what I thought Andy

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rainbow

did you mention what I thought Andy

Yes George, said very unlikely. 

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

lets hope he's right

ReplyQuote
PVDMR
(@pvdmr)
Member Moderator

4 in 1 ...Medpet *****

You can buy The Mans Winning pigeons BUT not the Man that flys them!!

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pvdmr

4 in 1 ...Medpet *****

It’s their 4 in 1 mix against adeno-Coli syndrome Stu.

Also their BelgaTai for treatment of ornithosis complex. 

He did say that I could use both treatments simultaneously if I wanted too but I think I will do them separately. With racing still hit and miss as to where their going to be going I’m in no hurry. 

ReplyQuote
PVDMR
(@pvdmr)
Member Moderator

MedPet 4-in-1 Tablets /Powder for Caged Birds and Pigeons

MedPet 4-in-1 Tablets /Powder for Birds is a vet recommended #1 crop canker treatment. This unique formulation treats four major types of diseases in birds and pigeons. It effectively controls canker, e-coli, paratyphoid and coccidiosis. The major gastrointestinal infections are controlled without any side effects. The oral treatment comes in two formulations – Tablets and Powder. Both are easy to administer to birds. MedPet 4-in-1 is safe for use in birds and is highly affordable.

Ingredients

Furaltadone

Ronidazole

Manufacturer

Medpet

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @pvdmr

MedPet 4-in-1 Tablets /Powder for Caged Birds and Pigeons

MedPet 4-in-1 Tablets /Powder for Birds is a vet recommended #1 crop canker treatment. This unique formulation treats four major types of diseases in birds and pigeons. It effectively controls canker, e-coli, paratyphoid and coccidiosis. The major gastrointestinal infections are controlled without any side effects. The oral treatment comes in two formulations – Tablets and Powder. Both are easy to administer to birds. MedPet 4-in-1 is safe for use in birds and is highly affordable.

Ingredients

Furaltadone

Ronidazole

Manufacturer

Medpet

I have used the powder one in the past with good results

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

This is what they have advised I try. 

742ECC73 9868 45B8 8BD8 928530BE2C94

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

and

39B69895 8FC7 4318 BA36 82DE232CC493

ReplyQuote
PVDMR
(@pvdmr)
Member Moderator

Ornisol by the same company is very Good,for rattles,etc,bought a pot and never had to use it.

IF I were in your shoes,I’d give the whole flock a dose of  Verkon S for 5 days,then onto Morrison’s yogurt ( probiotic) for 2/3 days.if there is anything untoward Verkon will Kill it!,I also gave them one dose every fortnight to kill off any nasties they might of picked up.If the race turned out to be a stinker,they had it in their water on return🙂

All Roads lead to Rome as they say!

Atb

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@pvdmr thanks for the advice Stu. 

ReplyQuote