Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Got a Problem

Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

With young birds, went in to clean yesterday and everywhere totally covered in food every box every perch, some horrible dropping and floor was wet, all birds except one looked a picture of health

went in this morning and seen one throwing up on floor, boxes and perches same as yesterday but not as bad and floor wet with horrid droppings again, now the thing is these birds or any others have been out since think was July when I lost some youngbirds and nothing at all has changed

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

mice Steve  or corn

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @george-morgan

mice Steve  or corn

Mice was my thoughts George thanks, feed is same as I always use

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Had you vaccinated against PMV ? The other one out here is Rota ,hope things Com well for you ,

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @killer

Had you vaccinated against PMV ? The other one out here is Rota ,hope things Com well for you ,

That was my immediate thought too. Rota. 

Food vomited everywhere, wet droppings, and a horrible smell.

I hope it isn't. 😳 

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @murray
Posted by: @killer

That was my immediate thought too. Rota. 

Food vomited everywhere, wet droppings, and a horrible smell.

I hope it isn't. 😳 

So do I as that is what it is like, if not going out how can they catch something like that?

not vaccinated Killer

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

My thoughts would be PMV. Certainly the wet droppings. Don’t usually get them throwing up with PMV. That would be more likely with YBS. When I had PMV the loft was soaked and smelt strong of ammonia. It does seem strange that they could have got something having not been out or mixed with other birds. PMV is an airborne virus though. 

If it is PMV hopefully you won’t lose many. I think I lost 5. Watch for the obvious lack of coordination when feeding and moving around plus the screwy neck. Just make sure they have plenty of water available. They will make an awful mess though. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

YBS is mostly caused by a an adeno virus / circo virus  / rota virus infection. 

The symptoms are similar.

PMV has similar symptoms initially, but then torsion of the neck, the typical 'twisted head' symptom appears in many. 

Sadly, it just has to run it's course. Healthy pigeons in good housing can recover well. 

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Whatever this is it has now gone through both lofts and all sections, the youngsters seem to be getting over it, picked one of the old birds up and opened it's beak was like dirty water coming out of mouth browny colour but never noticed any smell from it

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Buster121

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Two questions, buster.

Have you seen any of the twisted neck symptoms of PMV?

Are you still using the feed hoppers you made?

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Two questions, buster.

Have you seen any of the twisted neck symptoms of PMV?

Are you still using the feed hoppers you made?

No twisting Murray and yes still using hoppers, checked my mouse bait trays this morning and all empty again as was last week, but if it is mice have no idea at all as to how they getting in as only few weeks ago I put some small guage mesh over all openings including around top of sections where gap is between roof

One thing I have noticed is droppings are like glue really sticky one yesterday looked like he had worms hanging but not and today droppings in there like a creamy colour

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

I presume that the birds can’t get to the mouse poison? I haven’t ever had any problem with mouse, certainly not causing a health problem, but not saying they can’t. I would think that if this is the cause they must be either getting into your feed bins or hoppers if food is left in them. I’m still not convinced that this is the cause, especially as you say it has gone through the two lofts. It doesn’t sound like PMV either. Not sure what it could be. Good to hear they are improving. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @andy123

I presume that the birds can’t get to the mouse poison? I haven’t ever had any problem with mouse, certainly not causing a health problem, but not saying they can’t. I would think that if this is the cause they must be either getting into your feed bins or hoppers if food is left in them. I’m still not convinced that this is the cause, especially as you say it has gone through the two lofts. It doesn’t sound like PMV either. Not sure what it could be. Good to hear they are improving. 

Poison under lofts in bait boxes so not that, feed in secure bins except farm where I get it from and they do have mice there as seen them and farm cat's bring them into the seed storage unit, but always seed in my hoppers but as said no idea how they getting in

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

If I had a guess I would say Salmonella. The last batch of feed might have been contaminated by mice at the farm.

Or, there might still be away they are getting in. Or they might have caught it from sparrows. 

I could quite easily be wrong, but it sounds a bit like it. 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

If I had a guess I would say Salmonella. The last batch of feed might have been contaminated by mice at the farm.

Or, there might still be away they are getting in. Or they might have caught it from sparrows. 

I could quite easily be wrong, but it sounds a bit like it. 

Thanks Murray, we do get a lot of wild birds in garden have noticed a lot of magpies lately

ReplyQuote