community

Forum

Long distance is fo...

Notifications
Clear all

Long distance is for those with patience, perhaps not...

Page 1 / 2

CDBL
 CDBL
(@cdbl)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1161907879043063808/video/1

Not so retired racer, part time webmaster and part time distiller

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Very good Chris. 😀😀

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

😆 😆

That's very good, Chris!

Not far wrong, either.

As an old jockey, I am well aware that a long distance horse or dog or pigeon or athlete is simply one that was too slow to be a short distance one. 😀

I am still to be convinced that distance is more important than speed.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
CDBL
 CDBL
(@cdbl)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

😆 😆

That's very good, Chris!

Not far wrong, either.

As an old jockey, I am well aware that a long distance horse or dog or pigeon or athlete is simply one that was too slow to be a short distance one. 😀

Ahh but Murray, do you want the fastest slow pigeon or the slowest fast pigeon???

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

😀 😀

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

😆 😆

That's very good, Chris!

Not far wrong, either.

Ahh but Murray, do you want the fastest slow pigeon or the slowest fast pigeon???

For all weather distance pigeons you just need a steady plodder 😀 😀

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

😆 😆

That's very good, Chris!

Not far wrong, either.

😆 😆 Yep, very good!

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Distance Pigeons must be cut from the right cloth ; & a lot of luck required to get them through , Plodders are not what i'm looking for ,cheers

ReplyQuote
CDBL
 CDBL
(@cdbl)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

Distance Pigeons must be cut from the right cloth ; & a lot of luck required to get them through , Plodders are not what i'm looking for ,cheers

My opinion too. You want the fastest slow or the fastest fast. The speed is determined by the distance. A pigeon like any other living creature only has so much in the tank, and needs to stop when needed. I wouldn't put usain bolt against gabril sallassy in a marathon any more then I would try sallassy in a sprint against bolt.

In my opinion this is what makes crossing for a fit technically possible, if you were able to work out the genetic splits. Lung capacity. Chest muscles. Wings. Even potentially crop? Could all be decisive factors in pairing for a distance.

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

Correct.

They are like the top staying racehorses these days. They can run the last half mile of a two mile race nearly as quickly as the sprinters.

The day of the plodder is gone. They have to be fast enough, and trained enough, to put themselves in the front bunch at the get go, and keep it up.

If you are behind at the halfway point, you will finish behind.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin

My own thoughts you have to have the right tools in the box, from sprint to long distance you can only work with what you have got. But over the last couple of years I have thought you need the proven tools to do the damage.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Although my comment about the steady plodder was meant to be lighthearted in a way I do still stand by the remark. I agree with Devo that you do need proven stock to compete whether it be sprint, middle or long distance, at each level the athletes concerned need different traits. One difference between race horses and people is that the Jockey knows how far the race is as does the athlete whereas the humble pigeon when leaving the basket has no idea how far away home is. If the race is relatively easy then most good pigeons fast or slow will make it eventually and in this case yes you want the fast bird with plenty of stamina. Now I can't speak for conditions in other countries and on other continents but over here it is very rare to get a blow home in the distance races so most speed pigeons will burn themselves out in no time as how can they pace themselves if they don't know how long for.
You only need to look at the majority of long distance race results in this country to see that on most occasions its the experienced older pigeons who make it into the result, not their younger and faster rivals. Its stamina, wisdom and the love of home they need in most instances more than just speed.
A slightly different comparison is my experience playing several different sports including football, rugby and water polo. In each of these I have encountered players who with the want of a better phrase are to all intense and purpose passed their sell by date but in their day were exceptional athletes. Now when playing although they had lost their fitness and pace they could still run rings round the cocky youngsters as their sporting brain was one step ahead and they knew what the opponent was going to do before they did 😀
Just my opinion guys 👍😀

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

And very valid and well put, too. 😀

It is good to be able to have a discussion without becoming aggressive about it.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

And very valid and well put, too. 😀

It is good to be able to have a discussion without becoming aggressive about it.

Life is far too short for that Muzza my friend 😀
We all have different views and opinions all of them worth listening too, it's good to hear how others think as we never know when we might just learn something 👍
I've been around pigeons all my 53 years and I have to be honest I am still learning and my friends on here are helping me all the way.

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

There are two types of Distance birds ; The Stayers & the Get home at all costs type ; i'm trying to eliminate the Stayers as all they do is stay at the point & don't come home lol cheers

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2