Notifications
Clear all

Vomiting/ diarrhoea  

Page 3 / 3

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
19/11/2020 7:17 pm  
Posted by: @mizmo

I dont think I have any draft in the loft as I have covered up the holes seeing as the cold months are upon us. As for dampness I cant see none wither .I has a little leak from where the rain was getting through the window .but I sorted that out . All seems to be well for  now. 

Also I have noticed a hole in the garden I'm guessing it must be rats . We do have squirrels coming and going but they dont burrow, do they? 

What can I lure the rats with .as I have a cage to trap it.

Also is there anyway to heat the loft with a portable device ?

I would just put bait down for the rats and as Andy says put the trap against a building or the shed as rats will usually stay close to buildings, just corn in the trap will be enough to attract the rat to the trap. 

Again as Andy says there shouldn't really be any need to heat the loft, as long as it's well ventilated and dry the birds should be fine. 

I agree with Muzza that overcrowding is often the biggest cause of sickness within a loft and a damp loft is a bigger problem than a wet one. However I do personally think you are overthinking this one and were just unlucky enough to pick a rogue virus (probably ybs) which has now hopefully passed through. 

All the best mate. 

This post was modified 4 days ago by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Reputable Member Registered
20/11/2020 6:23 am  

@andy123 I dont want to use poison because of the squirrels that come and go . What bait can i use as I have a trap (dont know if the rat will be heavy enough to trigger it )

@muzza I doubt I have a problem.with ventilation as there will be air coming in but I could be wrong.  Will see how this winter pans out .

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
20/11/2020 8:24 pm  
Posted by: @mizmo

@andy123 I dont want to use poison because of the squirrels that come and go . What bait can i use as I have a trap (dont know if the rat will be heavy enough to trigger it )

@muzza I doubt I have a problem.with ventilation as there will be air coming in but I could be wrong.  Will see how this winter pans out .

You should be able to just use corn as bait Mizmo, you could still end up trapping a squirrel or two as well though. What kind of trap do you have mate, is it a live cage trap ??? If you put the poison in a pipe or something and place it close to a building where you think the rats run then the squirrels shouldn't touch it. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
20/11/2020 8:26 pm  

I would put poison down the hole and fill in. 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3