Notifications
Clear all

Vomiting/ diarrhoea  

Page 1 / 3

Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Reputable Member Registered
12/11/2020 9:51 am  

As title suggest my birds have either one or the two.

I say this because I walked into the loft to find seeds scattered all over the floor. At first I thought it was the young birds who had made a mess from the feeder .until I saw on most of the pigeon boxes had seeds .

What could be the cause?

I have not given them bo food today just water .only worried about this decision as they have young chicks

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
12/11/2020 5:55 pm  

Hi Mizmo, good to here from you again, shame about the circumstances though. It sounds like young bird sickness but I think it’s strange at this time of the year. Are they still going out? If so they could have picked something up. I know Phil had a lot of trouble last year with his birds going down into a field that had been treated with slug pellets. Could also be some bad corn. You will have to feed them if they are feeding youngsters and hope they don’t pass anything on to the youngsters. Hope you get it sorted. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
12/11/2020 7:29 pm  

Hi Mizmo good to hear from you again, as Andy says it's a shame it's not under better circumstances.

There could be a number of things that have caused it but without testing you probably won't ever get the answer. What have are your birds mate ??? As Andy says it could be youngbird sickness brought on by the Moult/feeding but it's more likely they have picked something up from wild birds. All you can do really is make sure the birds have clean water (preferably with some electrolytes in), feed as normal, clean the loft as often as you can and keep your fingers crossed, hopefully the birds will recover quickly. Out of interest what are you feeding at the moment ???

Hope you manage to get things sorted, all the best mate. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
12/11/2020 7:42 pm  

That's not good, Mizmo. 

As Andy and Trev said, hopefully it is just a passing thing and they will recover quickly. 

Good luck. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
13/11/2020 10:35 am  

Majority of the birds are over 10 months old they have had their moult I have 3 youngsters that are flying and not moulting as of yet.

I have been putting apple cider vinegar in the water and given minimum food . 

Where do I get electrolytes from or shall I put some rock salt into the water ??

I think maybe because they poo into the feeder .I do clean it but when I leave them to it they still do it which drives me nuts as I have to constantly clean it.

They also poo in the mineral powder and grit to make things harder for me !

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
13/11/2020 11:15 am  

I forgot to add that they do fly out and as far as them going to a field I don't have no field around me they fly around it on the roof and then they normally go inside for the food

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
13/11/2020 11:48 am  

How are they now Mizmo any improvement? 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
13/11/2020 7:46 pm  
Posted by: @mizmo

Majority of the birds are over 10 months old they have had their moult I have 3 youngsters that are flying and not moulting as of yet.

I have been putting apple cider vinegar in the water and given minimum food . 

Where do I get electrolytes from or shall I put some rock salt into the water ??

I think maybe because they poo into the feeder .I do clean it but when I leave them to it they still do it which drives me nuts as I have to constantly clean it.

They also poo in the mineral powder and grit to make things harder for me !

They are still in the right age bracket for youngbird sickness then mate, as for soiling the feeders etc unfortunately unless you get fully covered ones you will get this but although its not pleasant and may increase the spread it probably isn't the cause. You can buy electrolytes from most pigeon supply stockists (look at the sponsors page on here) and most pet stores. I have always found just putting some glucose in their water helps. 

All the best mate

This post was modified 1 week ago by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
13/11/2020 8:30 pm  

Yes, very probably young bird sickness. Adeno virus or circo virus. Not a lot you can do, just have to look after them and let it run it's course.

It's like any viral thing, there isn't a cure, but you can give them some electrolytes if you have some. 

Not nice seeing them unwell, but they will get better.  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
14/11/2020 8:45 pm  

Thanks for the advice guys. I will get some tomorrow now .

I've put garlic into the water.

Andy I had one die today and one of my young ones I hand reared seems to be getting weaker and not eating! Hopefully it pulls through.

Thank you once again guys.

Sorry I'm not here much but work ,family and other commitments are keeping me busy ! The time I do get I just like to wind down and get away from all distractions . 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
14/11/2020 8:53 pm  

Sorry to hear you’ve had one die and another not looking good but if it’s a virus it will have to just pass through them and hopefully most will fully recover. 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
14/11/2020 9:21 pm  

I'm hoping too as I'm contemplating on getting rid of them .as I dont think I have time for them which aint fair on them .

I had to take two of the chicks to work with me and the one that died today was coming too,till it had its last breath and died in the box. 

Garlic is good for viruses so might just work. They drink water from the gutter and other dirty places .so that could be the cause ? What's strange is that, one bird that got lost and stayed with me is fine and no problems .

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
14/11/2020 9:57 pm  

@mizmo could be that the stray one that came in already had an immunity to what ever the virus is. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
15/11/2020 7:17 pm  
Posted by: @mizmo

I'm hoping too as I'm contemplating on getting rid of them .as I dont think I have time for them which aint fair on them .

I had to take two of the chicks to work with me and the one that died today was coming too,till it had its last breath and died in the box. 

Garlic is good for viruses so might just work. They drink water from the gutter and other dirty places .so that could be the cause ? What's strange is that, one bird that got lost and stayed with me is fine and no problems .

Sorry to hear you are contemplating getting rid of the birds mate but I do understand as they do take up a fair bit time, you just have to make things as simple as possible, make them fit in with you. If you aren't racing them just having them in the garden should be fairly simple but it is easy to over complicate things. 

I don't think drinking water from the gutters etc is the problem, it could be the stray that has brought something in but if it is as suspected young bird sickness then there isn't much you could have done. These viruses are just about and if you are unlucky enough to get one you just have to let it run its cause, as with most sickness the strong will survive but the weaker will sadly concede. 

Sorry you have lost one, it is horrible especially as you have put so much effort into trying to keep these youngsters alive. 

All the best mate, hope it clears through soon. 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
15/11/2020 9:27 pm  

Seems the matter is starting to ease. Could it be the garlic in the water that cured them ?

only the young bird and one older seems to still be having issues and on top of this one pair of birds who are rearing young are not sitting on the chicks to keep them warm !!! So looks like I might be rearing more young 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3