Lost pigeons om tra...

Notifications
Clear all

Lost pigeons om training toss

Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Long story short.i let the birds out 15 miles (as the crow flies )and 25 miles (driving distance) at 15.30 all but two have come back .

Seems like they are not coming back... 

So will give till tomorrow and if they don't return,I'm packing up . Put too much time into them and then this happens. 

Will have perches ( unused ),breeding boxes and training baskets up for sale x2 one used one unused .

Sad times 😪

Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Mizmo we never know what happens to the birds upon release, hawks anything reality is however painful is losses happen and always will that sadly is the sport of pigeon racing, on another note I do hope they return safely

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

I hope they return for you Mizmo. But as Buster says I’m afraid it’s part of the sport. There have been some horrendous losses this year. We would unfortunately expect to lose at least half our team every year as we test them in both training and racing. Hawks have certainly made the situation worse over the last few years. You may not have seen, but most of our members are aware, that I had a disastrous first training toss this year. only getting back 8 from 28 of my old birds from 18 miles. Many of these missing birds had flown the channel at least twice and up to 350 miles. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@andy123 I'm sorry to hear that ,that's weird especially if they had flown the channel too.i would've thought 18 miles would be a walk in the park. Is it Sparrow hawks that cause the problem or all birds of prey?

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@buster121 thank you for the kind words. Will see what happens today 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

@mizmo the peregrine is the biggest problem. The sparrow hawk is only really a problem around the loft. I don’t know what the cause was but very upsetting but unfortunately there’s nothing you can do about these losses. You just have to forget about it and concentrate on the ones you have and build a team again. As often said “once your birds leave the loft there not yours again until their back in” while out nothing you can do, 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@andy123 sorry for the very late update but they all returned except for my favourite red.so I'm guessing it got singled out and caught 

They all came staggered,I think by the fourth day they all came back 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @mizmo

@andy123 sorry for the very late update but they all returned except for my favourite red.so I'm guessing it got singled out and caught 

They all came staggered,I think by the fourth day they all came back 

Not to bad in the end then, still a shame for any missing ones

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Good to hear you got most back Mizmo. Been a very difficult season for many this year, both in training and racing. 

ReplyQuote