Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Bloody bottom  

Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Reputable Member Registered
14/09/2020 6:03 pm  

My birds have all paired up.some have hatched chicks and others are laying . I've noticed one of the hens has laid a bloodied egg. So upon inspection I have seen that she has either ripped her opening .it is slightly protruding and is a bit bloody .will it heal on it's own or do I have to intervene somehow ?

stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
14/09/2020 6:34 pm  

Hard to say without looking at her if its a prolapse vent ( I think that's what its called ) it may heal but can sometimes happen every time she lays or has a big poo after sitting. This happened to Our good hen 194 and she had to be put down as it wouldn't stay inside her. and all 3 of her youngsters this season have scored 🙁 .

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
14/09/2020 7:11 pm  
Posted by: @stevekulpa

Hard to say without looking at her if its a prolapse vent ( I think that's what its called ) it may heal but can sometimes happen every time she lays or has a big poo after sitting. This happened to Our good hen 194 and she had to be put down as it wouldn't stay inside her. and all 3 of her youngsters this season have scored 🙁 .

Yes mate a prolapse would be correct 🤠👍 I can't say I have ever had that in a pigeon but as you rightly say it can become a big problem, from experience with live stock a prolapse can be repaired successfully but sadly in many cases they do happen again. Sorry to hear you lost your 194 this way but great to hear she has left her mark 👍 hopefully one of them will go on to breed you more winners. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
14/09/2020 7:16 pm  
Posted by: @mizmo

My birds have all paired up.some have hatched chicks and others are laying . I've noticed one of the hens has laid a bloodied egg. So upon inspection I have seen that she has either ripped her opening .it is slightly protruding and is a bit bloody .will it heal on it's own or do I have to intervene somehow ?

This will happen sometimes Mizmo especially with young hens laying for the first time, you see it a lot in chickens. She should heal ok on her own, just keep an eye on her and see how it goes. Was that the first of her eggs ?? 

Great to hear you have some youngsters hatched out too mate, hope they turn out well for you. 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
14/09/2020 10:30 pm  

Thank you for the reply guys . I just got back and checked her out properly . I cut the feathers around the vent (thank you for the correct term ) a d I used warm water to clean the clotted blood. Upon doing that it all looked normal ? Maybe there is another egg stuck ? As she does not sit down at all and is always standing. This is the first batch of eggs for all my birds. Rest have been 50% successful as they raised 1 chick out of the two .one pair decided to give up looking after their baby but luckily I have two other pairs to put it under . Only problem is .it is not getting fed as the other chicks are bigger but hey one problem at a time !

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
15/09/2020 7:28 am  

Hopefully she will be ok. She should lay her second egg today if she hasn’t already. I’ve had the odd eggs , especially first ever eggs, with a bit of blood on. The hens have been fine. 

Moving youngsters around is fine but try to make sure that they are close to the same size. It may mean taking away a pairs own baby and matching it up with another one the same size and then giving the smaller one to a pair on it’s own. 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
15/09/2020 9:05 pm  

@andy123 the problem is I have two the same size and one that's way smaller .they fed the smaller one today but when I checked on them just now the birds are not sitting on the nest! Dows that mean they will not feed the chick anymore?!

And you are right she laid another egg (bloodied ) its deffo a prolapse as I was cleaning the blood I somehow managed to push it back in .

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
15/09/2020 9:21 pm  

@mizmo they probably won’t sit on it now if the other one is old enough to be left uncovered. This will mean it will get cold and probably die. If you have a large one in the same nest I would try taking the large one away and see if they will take more care of the small one. Unfortunately might not be successful. 

Hopefully you have sorted out the hen and she will be ok. Be interesting to see what happens next time she lays. 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
16/09/2020 12:47 pm  

@andy123 you were sort of right as of today they rejected the chick.

The hen did lay again once again bloodied. But I just pushed back whatever was protruding . I will just check on her every night. 

ReplyQuote