Notifications
Clear all

Strays

Page 1 / 2

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Following what many are describing as the worst weekend racing for many many years. Hundreds if not thousands of pigeons failing to home and nearly half the members not recording arrivals from the big races it was inevitable that pigeons would be looking for a loft just to be fed watered and to have a rest. 

I’ve heard of many people getting 3 or 4 strays in over the weekend. 

I myself had a Scottish rung yearling in on Saturday. 2 yearlings in yesterday, one from the North West Homing Union and one from the Liverpool area and a 2 year old one in this morning, not sure where from yet. If these birds were racing from down the West Country going North they haven’t got very far. Although they are all tiered. The one this morning is red raw over the wattle so has flown hard. 

I will try to let the owners know I have them this evening and feed and water them before hopefully setting them on their way. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Why such a disastrous weekend?

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @murray

Why such a disastrous weekend?

There have been all sorts of theories why. One is a high level of solar flares hitting the earth. 

I think it’s more down to birds being liberated in poor conditions. As you know I live in Wincanton. Trev flies with the South Coast Fed and they were at Wincanton race course. Only a stones throw from me. They were released at 9.45am. It was only 87 miles for Trev. Trev was 6th club doing just 845ypm he had to wait an hour and a half for his second bird. Got 10/20 on the day, the last member on the sheet was doing just 304ypm. The winner was doing 911ypm sent 95 had to wait an hour for his second as was 60 missing on the day. He only flies 69 miles. In my opinion they should never have been released. It was overcast with full cloud cover all day. The velocities suggest that most didn’t leave the race point for sometime or went the wrong way. 

Many saying up and down the country of bad liberations. There had been thunderstorms around for a couple of days at the end of the week so this could also have contributed. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have seen that some Feds brought their birds back home. The other trouble was that the forecast for Sunday and today weren’t good so they knew that if they didn’t get them away Saturday they weren’t going to be able to until at least tomorrow. They just don’t seem prepared to have holdovers nowadays. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @andy123

I have seen that some Feds brought their birds back home. The other trouble was that the forecast for Sunday and today weren’t good so they knew that if they didn’t get them away Saturday they weren’t going to be able to until at least tomorrow. They just don’t seem prepared to have holdovers nowadays. 

Our fed brought birds back yet heart of england fed racing from same place let birds go, no sense at all why some have and others not

Sadie's Loft's

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

maybe it's time fanciers  took a look at the race point and line of flight weather then decide if they should sent most i would think never look at the weather just send there birds or maybe they are  not able to understand it 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I don’t disagree with you that many won’t take any notice of weather forecast and would send what ever. But in fairness George it’s not quite as easy as that especially with the Nationals and Classics. The entries for these often have to be in the week before the race and they are marked mainly on the Thursday. The weather forecasters can’t get it right the day before let alone a few days before. Also with these races there isn’t a line of flight as such. They are flying to all parts of the country and the weather can change over different areas. 

You do have to hope that the convoyers get it right. I think a lot were liberated in poor conditions this weekend. Also they just don’t want to holdover. 

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

i was referring to the fanciers own line of flight i think most have a good idea what the weather is going to be i agree weather can be fine in one part of the country and not good in another i'm sure i read on facebook  some had good returns yet in same area some didn't

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @george-morgan

maybe it's time fanciers  took a look at the race point and line of flight weather then decide if they should sent most i would think never look at the weather just send there birds or maybe they are  not able to understand it 

I fully agree, George.

The fanciers should be looking at the weather forecasts and using a bit of judgement.

If the weather looks no good there is always another race.

Of course Andy is right. National racing is a bit different, but for normal inland racing the flyers could use a bit of discretion.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Murray

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have spoken to the owners of 3 of the 4 strays I’ve had in over the weekend. The other one I have left a message with. 

The Scottish one is from Sterling and was racing from Melton Mowbray so has gone the wrong way. 

The other 2 are from Crewe and Liverpool not far from each other in the North West. Both these fanciers spoke of very heavy losses with many club members not timing in. They were both a lot missing themselves. One was still 29 short and the other 12 still missing. 

The one from Crewe was racing from Weymouth just 25 miles South of me and the one from Liverpool was only racing from Yeovil about 10 miles South West of me. With the bird coming in yesterday and the one released at Yeovil only coming in this morning not far from where they had been let go where had they been for the last day or so. The weather hasn’t been good here since liberations and it seems that they have just been flying around in circles never really clearing. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

That's a tragedy. It really is.

There will be thousands of pigeons all over the country, lost, and trying to find a bearing. 

I do hope that most of them get home, or are reported.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@murray I’ve heard that at some of the liberations, including Weymouth and Yeovil, that the birds were circling for ages and some pigeons were landing back on the transporters. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

@murray I’ve heard that at some of the liberations, including Weymouth and Yeovil, that the birds were circling for ages and some pigeons were landing back on the transporters. 

I heard that as well

had my first stray in today, young bird X ring will have to find owners details

Sadie's Loft's

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@buster121 I had a pigeon brought in the shop this afternoon. They all know I keep racing pigeons lol. It is a 2018 hen. She had a phone ring on so I phoned them. They were from Wolverhampton and their bird was also missing from Weymouth. He had heard that the birds hadn’t cleared after 40 minutes and another lot were liberated while they were still circling. He said that a member of his club had one reported in France. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

@buster121 I had a pigeon brought in the shop this afternoon. They all know I keep racing pigeons lol. It is a 2018 hen. She had a phone ring on so I phoned them. They were from Wolverhampton and their bird was also missing from Weymouth. He had heard that the birds hadn’t cleared after 40 minutes and another lot were liberated while they were still circling. He said that a member of his club had one reported in France. 

So only did what 20 odd miles, did you get a name I may know them, France totally wrong way makes no sense at all the way they went, if he had sent it across channel probably would have lost it

Sadie's Loft's

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2