No place for pied p...

Notifications
Clear all

No place for pied pigeons  

Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
15/09/2020 9:29 am  

I was pleased to see the babies that Trevor bred for Saul are doing well.

Does yer heart good. Happy  

Trev bred some coloured pigeons for Saul, they look good. But they would be no good where I live.

I have had the usual attrition while training the pigeons for the ever ephemeral 2020 racing program.

I am at the point now where I don't have a single pigeon with a white feather in the 'Race Team'. Every pied or white flighted pigeon is gone.

One can only assume that they are just easy targets for the falcons. I have one black chequer yearling which I tossed with them the other day. With the sun above them, he stuck out. I don't expect he will last long, either.

I am re thinking my breeding program, to be like it was in New Zealand, many years ago. Solid blue bars, and solid blue chequers.

That's it. Anything else seems to not last long here.

This topic was modified 2 months ago by Muzza

Regards

Murray.

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
15/09/2020 3:47 pm  

Won’t be able to breed from Gordon then Murray. I do like to have a variety of colours in the loft. I have always liked reds and some of my best pigeons have been reds but no point if you find they don’t last with you. At the end of the day any colour is nice if it wins races. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
15/09/2020 11:30 pm  

Gordy and Mrs Gordon are about to hatch a pair. Some of them are solid chequers, so we will see. 

I like a bit of colour amongst them too, but the results are obvious. The pied ones are the first ones picked off. 

Pity. Sad  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
Trusted Member Registered
16/09/2020 10:31 pm  

@muzza funny that in Surrey in my very short 1 year experience don't seem to loose any more whites than blue bars. There's constantly buzzards overhead going kii kii like gulls, lost 7 in my first year, 4 of 6 blue bars and 3 of 6 whites ;  but only lost 4 of now 20 this year and all of them YB, 2 logans and 2 blue bars. Of course I dont know if they've been BOP or simply awol. I'd very much like to hang on to Trevs YB as they are lovely looking, and i guess the early weeks are the highest risk and they will fly better and get smarter with time, but I guess its a self selecting process and you just have to let them work it out, some will, some sadly wont?  Trev said not to worry too much about the buzzards, more about the spring sparrowhawks, and the birds do flock beautifully and fly like stink beneath the buzzards like they are teasing them. Its thrilling and terrifying in equal measures!

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
17/09/2020 8:35 am  

It's not buzzards we have to worry about. 

It's peregrine falcons. Lots of them. 

There's Goshawks and Sparrowhawks, but the falcons are the wreckers. I have driven the 100 miles from Melbourne airport to Bendigo, and seen 20 or 30 pairs of falcons. That's just in the line of sight from the highway. Shocked  

The place is crawling with them. They do some damage. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
17/09/2020 7:18 pm  
Posted by: @muzza

It's not buzzards we have to worry about. 

It's peregrine falcons. Lots of them. 

There's Goshawks and Sparrowhawks, but the falcons are the wreckers. I have driven the 100 miles from Melbourne airport to Bendigo, and seen 20 or 30 pairs of falcons. That's just in the line of sight from the highway. Shocked  

The place is crawling with them. They do some damage. 

I think in general it is the Peregrine's that pose the biggest threat to all of us, it is the Sparrow hawk that does me most harm around home during February, March and April. On the road it is probably Goss hawks and Peregrines they have to contend with, I think the coloured birds are more vulnerable but I  don't think the hawks are particularly fussy 😕😉 Since starting up again 4 years ago I have probably lost more coloureds than blues but I think that's been more down to breeding than colour as most of them were from the same family. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
17/09/2020 7:22 pm  
Posted by: @saul

@muzza funny that in Surrey in my very short 1 year experience don't seem to loose any more whites than blue bars. There's constantly buzzards overhead going kii kii like gulls, lost 7 in my first year, 4 of 6 blue bars and 3 of 6 whites ;  but only lost 4 of now 20 this year and all of them YB, 2 logans and 2 blue bars. Of course I dont know if they've been BOP or simply awol. I'd very much like to hang on to Trevs YB as they are lovely looking, and i guess the early weeks are the highest risk and they will fly better and get smarter with time, but I guess its a self selecting process and you just have to let them work it out, some will, some sadly wont?  Trev said not to worry too much about the buzzards, more about the spring sparrowhawks, and the birds do flock beautifully and fly like stink beneath the buzzards like they are teasing them. Its thrilling and terrifying in equal measures!

I think most of your losses were just bad luck mate and having the flock of fantails just down the road from you didn't help. Good to hear the birds have settled and are flying well, hopefully they will do well for you mate 👍

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
17/09/2020 8:24 pm  

Buzzards certainly aren’t a problem and neither is the Red Kite. I do think the biggest threat is the Peregrine. I have got a resident Sparrow Hawk that passes through or over the garden every day. Came through this evening. The birds all take off but are soon down again. Thankfully the one I have here doesn’t seem to be interested in the pigeons. 

I think your losses have been what would almost be expected off the loft. May be a bit high with your first ones but about right this year. Always going to lose the odd ones. 

ReplyQuote
Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
17/09/2020 9:03 pm  

@muzza That sounds like a lot more pain in your neck of the woods than Surrey then, sorry to hear that. Its taken me a while to get more used to the losses. I usually put a coloured leg band on after a few weeks, but I think Ive lost 3 pink leg bands so far and Im starting to get superstitious, although logically its just chance. Cant you dip them in some sort of camo dye?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/aug/06/painted-pigeons-paloma-al-aire-ricardo-cases-in-pictures

https://https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3184984/Mystery-pink-pigeons-SOLVED-Fancier-dyed-birds-s-feathers-confuse-falcons-says-won-t-knows-harm-them.html/news/article-3184984/Mystery-pink-pigeons-SOLVED-Fancier-dyed-birds-s-feathers-confuse-falcons-says-won-t-knows-harm-them.html

This post was modified 2 months ago by Saul

ReplyQuote
Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
17/09/2020 9:21 pm  

http://juliusvonbismarck.com/bank/index.php/projects/some-pigeons-are-more-equal-than-others/

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Saul

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
17/09/2020 9:42 pm  

Good little post Saul. Don’t think I’ll try it though Laugh Laugh  

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
19/09/2020 9:12 am  

Nice one Saul Laugh  

I had a stray in earlier this year that had pink spray on both wings, when I spoke to the birds owner he was positive that it puts the birds of prey off so maybe not so silly 🤔🤔

ReplyQuote