Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Moulting  

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
02/06/2020 4:11 pm  

Each day I am finding more and more feathers off the old birds, is it the heat???

rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
02/06/2020 5:32 pm  

I don't have many birds but no feathers yet

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
02/06/2020 9:18 pm  
Posted by: @buster121

Each day I am finding more and more feathers off the old birds, is it the heat???

I’m getting a lot of down feathers, which is good and they are moulting in the wing but not more than expected being on natural. The youngsters are moulting quickly though. Some of the early ones that weren’t born until February are already on their 4th flights and even the younger ones that are still squeaking have dropped flights. I don’t do the darkness system. Could be to do with the heat. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
02/06/2020 9:44 pm  
Posted by: @andy123
Posted by: @buster121

I’m getting a lot of down feathers, which is good and they are moulting in the wing but not more than expected being on natural. The youngsters are moulting quickly though. Some of the early ones that weren’t born until February are already on their 4th flights and even the younger ones that are still squeaking have dropped flights. I don’t do the darkness system. Could be to do with the heat. 

Mine natural as well, been handling young a lot this last week or so and on looking at wings some are on 8th flight (think) just before feathers turn other way others around halfway and all except one born late

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
02/06/2020 10:30 pm  

@buster121

They are very far on then Buster. Are they moulting in the body as well? They must be in good condition though. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
02/06/2020 10:37 pm  

Yes mate mine are moulting in the wing too and the loft is covered in down. I think the heat and very bright days has probably brought them on in the moult quicker this year. I do have one or two old birds that haven't reared any youngsters that aren't moulting as quickly. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
03/06/2020 6:01 am  
Posted by: @andy123

@buster121

They are very far on then Buster. Are they moulting in the body as well? They must be in good condition though. 

Some are, condition just seems normal to me mate

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
03/06/2020 9:02 am  

It must have been a sudden change of temperatures to bring on a serious moult like that. Surprised  

It isn't even the longest day of the year for you blokes 'up over'.

I know that that as soon as the days start to shorten, the feathers start to fall, so you must have some healthy pigeons.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote