Notifications
Clear all

Me and my big mouth

Page 1 / 2

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yesterday I was saying to Rainbow only had couple drinkers freeze, well this morning I went to go up garden then spent the next 2 hours trying to get water in my pond it was empty all but about an inch of water pumps etc still running all fish on there side appearing dead with thin ice over them, tried to get some water from outside taps one frozen other gives hot water so turned central heating off so cold coming out got hosepipe frozen solid got spare one out shed frozen so spent best part 2 hours getting water in bowl at a time, as water level rose some of the fish started moving there fins had shock of my life after filling about 1/3 full as they all started to come back to life and move around Surprised Pray thankfully, well think all as still not 100% sure, all I need do now is find out why all water drained off any ideas welcome

rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

there must be about 20 cars round were I live my car  was the only one frozen all the others were clear think it has to do with the wind chill  

ReplyQuote
PVDMR
(@pvdmr)
Member Moderator

Have you got a plastic liner in your pond?mabe split during the harsh frost,seems a mistery to me🤔....a mate of mine when he installed his outside pond had it fibreglassed and never had any problems,your one Lucky fella not losing all your fish😉 

Hope you find the problem!!!

Atb

You can buy The Mans Winning pigeons BUT not the Man that flys them!!

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pvdmr

Have you got a plastic liner in your pond?mabe split during the harsh frost,seems a mistery to me🤔....a mate of mine when he installed his outside pond had it fibreglassed and never had any problems,your one Lucky fella not losing all your fish😉 

Hope you find the problem!!!

Atb

No liner mate one of those 6 x 4 Laguna  holding tanks, when weather gets warmer will get it in ground instead of on top, my last one was just a liner in ground and never had any problems with that either but changed garden and upgraded to this one it has decking all around it and a good bed of sand, have checked for any cracks cannot find any so at moment putting down to  one of the filter boxes as no water coming out this morning just from fountain as two things run from that pump

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Posted by: @buster121

Yesterday I was saying to Rainbow only had couple drinkers freeze, well this morning I went to go up garden then spent the next 2 hours trying to get water in my pond it was empty all but about an inch of water pumps etc still running all fish on there side appearing dead with thin ice over them, tried to get some water from outside taps one frozen other gives hot water so turned central heating off so cold coming out got hosepipe frozen solid got spare one out shed frozen so spent best part 2 hours getting water in bowl at a time, as water level rose some of the fish started moving there fins had shock of my life after filling about 1/3 full as they all started to come back to life and move around Surprised Pray thankfully, well think all as still not 100% sure, all I need do now is find out why all water drained off any ideas welcome

It could be that your outlet from your filter box was restricted, probably by ice. This would then result in the water being pumped into the filter box not being able to get away from the box faster than it goes in resulting in the box overflowing. With the size of your pump it wouldn’t take long to drain the pond. I have had this before where my outlet has got blocked resulting in there just being a puddle in the bottom of the pond with the fish floundering in. It is surprising how they will still survive in just a little water and even when you think they are to far gone they will recover. I have even had koi jump out of my fish vats in the shop and found them on the floor covered in dust and looking dead, but once put back in the water they come round.

I do make sure now that my pump is off the bottom of the pond so if anything happened there would always be a few inches of water left. Mine is 5 foot deep. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Andy that is exactly what I thought regarding filter box after not finding anything other than the outlet iced up, just wasn't sure first thing this morning as to whether froze up before or after, thankfully all swimming about again

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Andy that is exactly what I thought regarding filter box after not finding anything other than the outlet iced up, just wasn't sure first thing this morning as to whether froze up before or after, thankfully all swimming about again

Good to hear the fish are all ok again now Steve. You could turn the pump off at night but it may then be difficult to get it all going again in the morning as it would probably freeze right up. 

If the pond hasn’t gone down again since you filled it back up I think that the filter box overflowing was the problem. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I did turn it off last night will see how it goes when I turn back on shortly Pray  

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Froze over this morning but was able to break ice and get pump running, still left the other one off as that is the one I believe caused the problem yesterday, all good now thankfully

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

That’s great mate. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

That was a waste went out this morning and other filter froze solid and pond Screaming Screaming  

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

That was a waste went out this morning and other filter froze solid and pond Screaming Screaming  

That’s annoying Steve. Is the pond still full of water? I think it was colder last night than it has been although not according to the thermometer. By drinkers all had a layer of ice on them this morning, which is only the second time during this cold spell. My pond is still running though thankfully. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yes mate still full ice about 1inch thick on pond, my drinkers all frozen solid and droppings froze to floor makes for hard work, let's hope this weekend is the end of it all

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Yes mate still full ice about 1inch thick on pond, my drinkers all frozen solid and droppings froze to floor makes for hard work, let's hope this weekend is the end of it all

Supposed to be warmer here tomorrow. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @andy123

Supposed to be warmer here tomorrow. 

And here mate

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2