Notifications
Clear all

How to get pigeons in!  

Page 3 / 5

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
24/05/2020 8:57 am  
Posted by: @www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk

This is how youngsters should react to the whistle and there not starving there it’s just routine from day 1 there’s 45 youngsters there and in on the call 

Unfortunately the video was a bit stop start for me but that's probably my poor wifi but it certainly shows how well you have your birds trained John, well done. I have to admit that trapping is something I haven't mastered since starting up with birds again, I think that is partly down to the fact that my old and young birds are all housed together and partly due to the me being crap at routine 🤔😂🤣 

The main issue I have is due to work I feed the birds first thing before letting them out on an open loft during the day and my wife feeds them in the evenings and is a little too soft on them 😂 It is something I can live with as without Lisa cleaning them out for me in the afternoons and feeding them I would struggle to do it all especially during the winter months. I could get up even earlier this time of year so they can fly before feeding but I'm afraid my dedication isn't that strong these days so it is what is, I know I will never achieve greatness but the pleasure I get from just having them around and the odd half decent result is enough for me. You will only ever get out what you put in so if you want to hit the top, in the words of the late great Roy Castle "dedication is what you need" 🤠👍

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
24/05/2020 9:18 pm  

Great video clip John. I take it you have the trap shut while their out, and clean out and put food down ready for when you open the trap and whistle them? 

I have all mine out together, old birds and 2 lots of young birds. I give mine a exercise period. One hour in the morning and two to three hours in the afternoon. While out the lofts are left open and they can come and go as they please. After their exercise period I scrape out the sections and change the water. I start with the old bird section, then the section where the 17 older youngsters are and finally the young bird loft. The old birds are fed in their boxes and by the time I finish scrapping the young bird loft most are in their boxes waiting to be fed. The older youngsters are fed next and again most are in by the time I put their food down. The younger youngsters are fed last in the young bird loft. Usually all in before I finish putting the food down. I do blow the whistle when feeding these ones. I did use the whistle on the other youngsters before I started letting the younger youngsters out but don’t need to now. They are fed as much as they want on each feed. I just fill the troughs. After a few minutes I then remove all the left food from all of them. Any that may have not come in by then go without. I do have the odd ones not come in every time but doesn’t bother me. Generally they all come in and quickly. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
24/05/2020 9:37 pm  

I got that video ok!

Yep, that's how it's done. Grinning  

Lovely team of pigeons.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
24/05/2020 10:03 pm  

Great video John, I relate to most of what Trev said regarding dedication Exhausted Exhausted  

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Estimable Member Registered
24/05/2020 11:17 pm  
Posted by: @muzza

Do you still have some of the Breed and Wean, Mizmo?

If so, I would mix it 50/50 with the Buckton's and try them on that. See if lightening up the feed that much gives you some control, while not totally changing the feed in one hit.

Give it a try.

I think its day two of just feeding the depurative and they are listening to the whistle, not as eager as I would like but responsive.  I am giving one handful to three birds twice a day . 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
24/05/2020 11:21 pm  
Posted by: @www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk

This is how youngsters should react to the whistle and there not starving there it’s just routine from day 1 there’s 45 youngsters there and in on the call 

Wow that's what dreams are made of 😍 how much do you feed per bird and what mix do you use ?

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
25/05/2020 12:45 am  

Go back up the thread, Mizmo.

jmccall shows in pictures how he prepares the feed for them. 

Mine come in like that too, and I am feeding a slightly different feed, but still not too heavy. 

Exactly what you are feeding is not vitally important. How and when you feed it is the trick. 

Experience, Mizmo. It all comes down to experience. You will learn quick enough, because you are thinking. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
26/05/2020 1:33 am  

Mine come in like that too, and I am feeding a slightly different feed, but still not too heavy. 

Exactly what you are feeding is not vitally important. How and when you feed it is the trick. 

Experience, Mizmo. It all comes down to experience. You will learn quick enough, because you are thinking. 

They are coming in to the whistle now only problem is some of them dont come through the landing board and it creates problems .as I have to leave the door open for them and the one that have ate go back out . How do I get them to know to get in. I've been putting food on the landing board (which has helped a few learn) then I show them the feeding trough.  When I'm calling they go towards the main door which they have been used to doing so .

The feed I now give is depurative mixed with breed and wean 4-1 mixture. Only thing I need now is them to fly properly .as they fly for five mins and land . I read as soon as they fly and land to get them in .doesnt matter how long they have flown .is this correct?

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
26/05/2020 6:13 am  

You could close the main door will force them to go through trap then, mine fly land and in unless bath out, some fly for 15 minutes others up to couple hours but as soon as down in

This post was modified 2 months ago by buster121

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
26/05/2020 8:53 am  
Posted by: @mizmo

They are coming in to the whistle now only problem is some of them dont come through the landing board and it creates problems .as I have to leave the door open for them and the one that have ate go back out . How do I get them to know to get in. I've been putting food on the landing board (which has helped a few learn) then I show them the feeding trough.  When I'm calling they go towards the main door which they have been used to doing so .

The feed I now give is depurative mixed with breed and wean 4-1 mixture. Only thing I need now is them to fly properly .as they fly for five mins and land . I read as soon as they fly and land to get them in .doesnt matter how long they have flown .is this correct?

Well, no.

Your birds are still young and growing physically and mentally. They are learning their surrounds. You don't have old birds for them to follow, or a bigger kit of youngsters to encourage each other. So your little team are learning the game a day at a time.

Only let them out through the trap. Very important. If they go out the trap, they know where it is.

I suggest you let them out, leave the trap and the door open, for a set period. You decide. It depends on how much time you have available.

Maybe an hour?

Let them fly and land as many times as they want. Let them go in and out of the loft as many times as they want.

Then, after the time is up the youngsters should have had plenty of exercise, and be looking for some feed! Call them in.

Let them come in by the door, or the trap, but once most of them are in, shut the door.

The ones that mess about might not get much dinner, but they will go in in the finish. If you do this for a few days, they will get the idea.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
26/05/2020 9:17 am  

I very seldom put a pigeon to bed with nothing to eat.

I know we all sound tough and say that it didn't trap so it didn't eat.

Sometimes a youngster will have a brain fade, and simply will not go in. You try to gently herd it in, but no, it just keeps going up onto a roof.

There it sits and gets a blank look on its face.

Sound familiar? Displeased

Eventually, about 30 seconds before you are going to lock it out for the night, it drops onto the board, and scurries in.

Now, we would all say that it would get nothing, Bloody, umm, naughty pigeon.

I don't always agree.

If it is light enough, I put a tiny pinch of food on it's perch. The thing has lost the plot for a moment, been out when all the others are in. It doesn't know why either. It is confused and hungry.

To let it stay all night with nothing to eat, tomorrow it will still be hungry, and will have learned nothing. By giving it a little bit to eat, it is reminded that when you go in there is some food, and a safe perch.

Because it got very little, it should be encouraged to be a little better next time.

Just how I do it anyway.   

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
26/05/2020 10:50 am  
Posted by: @mizmo

Well, no.

Your birds are still young and growing physically and mentally. They are learning their surrounds. You don't have old birds for them to follow, or a bigger kit of youngsters to encourage each other. So your little team are learning the game a day at a time.

Only let them out through the trap. Very important. If they go out the trap, they know where it is.

I suggest you let them out, leave the trap and the door open, for a set period. You decide. It depends on how much time you have available.

Maybe an hour?

Let them fly and land as many times as they want. Let them go in and out of the loft as many times as they want.

Then, after the time is up the youngsters should have had plenty of exercise, and be looking for some feed! Call them in.

Let them come in by the door, or the trap, but once most of them are in, shut the door.

The ones that mess about might not get much dinner, but they will go in in the finish. If you do this for a few days, they will get the idea.

I only let them out of the trap.to be honest that blue hen I got is the fastest learner out of all of them .she responds really well.

Once they are let out they will never go back in the loft .unless.i have enticed them with the call of food. How do i make them go in by themselves or will this be a matter of repetition.  

I was thinking of maybe leaving feed in the loft so they know that there will be food inside for them once in ?

Right now i let them out .leave them out for a hour regardless of flight time or not. Once the hour is up .I call them in .and its.only then they come inside (most of them )

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
26/05/2020 9:30 pm  

I let mine out for an hour in the morning and 2 to 3 hours in the afternoon. They can come and go as 5hey please. After the allotted period I clean out and feed them in. After about 5 minutes any food left is taken away and any not in go without. If you have bob wires and they aren’t sure about going through them lift one up to give a bigger gap for them to drop in through. 

Do yours just have the one short flight or do they keep taking off for a fly? 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
27/05/2020 2:34 am  
Posted by: @andy123

I let mine out for an hour in the morning and 2 to 3 hours in the afternoon. They can come and go as 5hey please. After the allotted period I clean out and feed them in. After about 5 minutes any food left is taken away and any not in go without. If you have bob wires and they aren’t sure about going through them lift one up to give a bigger gap for them to drop in through. 

Do yours just have the one short flight or do they keep taking off for a fly? 

They have several flights but it varies from time.  so one could be five minutes and the next longer .the time inbetween I cannot say for sure ,maybe more then ten mins possibly 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
27/05/2020 9:31 am  

@mizmo

if they keep taking off and having a fly they are still exercising. I feel that they use more energy keep taking off and flying than just continuously flying. At this stage I wouldn’t be to concerned. 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5