Notifications
Clear all

How to get pigeons in!  

Page 2 / 4

jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
Estimable Member Registered
22/05/2020 2:33 pm  

I would look for one mixture to start with an average racing mixture or young birds mixture of around 12-14% protein then add few handfuls of barley into it and feed as we have advised don’t over complicate it some people’s feeding systems are years of tweaking to fit there setup basic is best to start with and build on that once you have control of the birds 

leaving food in front of youngsters is an absolute NO and letting them gorge themselves full is even worse as if they do get young bird sickness with full crops they will be much worse as the crop doesn’t empty and digestive system is what’s been attacked 

Here is my AM feed with the barley added 

181A4EF9 8FA1 4B4C 8C61 BCA2FBE9A237

This is my pm feed 

98D4E849 F31A 4ACA 92A8 5D9ED57CD9A6

and this is the barley I add to mixtures 

68AC4D50 789A 42B5 9B66 CA1D919B311F
This post was modified 6 days ago by jmccall

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
22/05/2020 7:48 pm  
Posted by: @muzza

Good to see you showing so much interest in this topic, Mizmo.

Now, this is a good time to point out a fallacy, common in the pigeon sport.

The old story is that young pigeons must have a protein heavy diet to grow and be any good as racing pigeons. The story has been told so many time over the last hundred years, that it is almost canon law.

This is so wrong! 

If, for example, a baby pigeon needs, shall we say, 7.5 grams of raw protein per day, to grow. The fancier, wanting to provide well, feeds that baby pigeon 15 grams of raw protein, and thinks that his young bird will grow twice as quickly and be twice as strong.

In fact, he has overloaded the young pigeon's digestion, and worries about the loose droppings.

So, he then gets some medications, and begins a life long battle with an enemy that he created.

Mizmo, The best advice I can give you is, buy some of that depurative mix. It is very balanced, and I bet those pigeons will be healthier and more athletic than those fed a heavy diet and antibiotics.

Do I still feed once a day or twice? The hand full of seeds per 3 birds worked a treat thank you for that tip.As soon as they started drinking water I removed it only to find a few seeds left.  I will order the other feed as I want then to be flying not rooftop ornaments. 

The next step will be how do I get them used to the landing board ? they were using the main door till I fixed the board on. I've put a cage so they can walk from the loft to the landing board but only a few pigeons can access it at a time .

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
22/05/2020 7:53 pm  
Posted by: @www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk

I would look for one mixture to start with an average racing mixture or young birds mixture of around 12-14% protein then add few handfuls of barley into it and feed as we have advised don’t over complicate it some people’s feeding systems are years of tweaking to fit there setup basic is best to start with and build on that once you have control of the birds 

leaving food in front of youngsters is an absolute NO and letting them gorge themselves full is even worse as if they do get young bird sickness with full crops they will be much worse as the crop doesn’t empty and digestive system is what’s been attacked 

Here is my AM feed with the barley added 

181A4EF9 8FA1 4B4C 8C61 BCA2FBE9A237

This is my pm feed 

98D4E849 F31A 4ACA 92A8 5D9ED57CD9A6

and this is the barley I add to mixtures 

68AC4D50 789A 42B5 9B66 CA1D919B311F

What base mix do you add the barley to. I'm going to get the depurative as it contains 40% barley.

What's so special about barley as I've been searching online and most people suggest this.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
23/05/2020 12:01 am  

This is what mine are all eating, every day.

Adequate for pigeons that are not doing any work. Only 25%peas and 25%maize.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
23/05/2020 12:12 am  
Posted by: @mizmo

The old story is that young pigeons must have a protein heavy diet to grow and be any good as racing pigeons. The story has been told so many time over the last hundred years, that it is almost canon law.

This is so wrong! 

If, for example, a baby pigeon needs, shall we say, 7.5 grams of raw protein per day, to grow. The fancier, wanting to provide well, feeds that baby pigeon 15 grams of raw protein, and thinks that his young bird will grow twice as quickly and be twice as strong.

In fact, he has overloaded the young pigeon's digestion, and worries about the loose droppings.

So, he then gets some medications, and begins a life long battle with an enemy that he created.

Mizmo, The best advice I can give you is, buy some of that depurative mix. It is very balanced, and I bet those pigeons will be healthier and more athletic than those fed a heavy diet and antibiotics.

Do I still feed once a day or twice? The hand full of seeds per 3 birds worked a treat thank you for that tip.As soon as they started drinking water I removed it only to find a few seeds left.  I will order the other feed as I want then to be flying not rooftop ornaments. 

The next step will be how do I get them used to the landing board ? they were using the main door till I fixed the board on. I've put a cage so they can walk from the loft to the landing board but only a few pigeons can access it at a time .

Put your landing board up and you will see that they will quickly start to land on it. Just to try it out. Pigeons are inquisitive. It wont take long for one or two to start going in off the board, and in a few days you will be able to shut the door. Like most things with pigeons, it will take as long as it takes. 3 or 4 days, or maybe a week.

Doesn't matter. Just be patient.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
23/05/2020 1:02 am  

This is so wrong! 

Put your landing board up and you will see that they will quickly start to land on it. Just to try it out. Pigeons are inquisitive. It wont take long for one or two to start going in off the board, and in a few days you will be able to shut the door. Like most things with pigeons, it will take as long as it takes. 3 or 4 days, or maybe a week.

They all fly out from there but coming in, they rather not ! I will wait and see how they get on. Do you know where else i can get they depurative mix from as pallats have no stock

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
23/05/2020 2:57 am  

It does not need to be that depurative mix. An all round mix without too many legumes or too much maize will be fine.

I think the main thing is to get them off that Breed and Wean.  They are flying now and are getting way too heavy a feed on that. They aren't hungry and will ignore you.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
23/05/2020 5:56 am  

This is so wrong! 

They all fly out from there but coming in, they rather not ! I will wait and see how they get on. Do you know where else i can get they depurative mix from as pallats have no stock

Have you tried that one in Birmingham yet, failing that have a look on line for seed stockists in your area, Jaws ans Claws is in Birmingham but you would need to look for there address they sell everything for pigeons also sell on ebay

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
23/05/2020 2:25 pm  

@buster121 I will have a look for them now .is it the one.in bordesly green ,in a small industrial estate ?

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
23/05/2020 2:51 pm  
Screenshot 20200523 144802 eBay

I found this one online .would it be ok , anyone else used it ? 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
23/05/2020 4:44 pm  

I bought the mix .so will see how the change in behaviour .will post the outcome 

20200523 164023

This post was modified 5 days ago by Mizmo

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
23/05/2020 4:47 pm  

@buster121 I will have a look for them now .is it the one.in bordesly green ,in a small industrial estate ?

I gave you rough directions before it is off the Medway, think Jaws and Claws is in a unit not sure as never been

This post was modified 5 days ago by buster121

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
23/05/2020 7:53 pm  
Screenshot 20200523 144802 eBay

I found this one online .would it be ok , anyone else used it ? 

Bucktons have been around for years mate so nothing wrong with their mixes, hope it works for you.

Some excellent advice there from Murray, John and Steve so no more I can add.

Well done guys 👏👏👏

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
23/05/2020 10:15 pm  

Do you still have some of the Breed and Wean, Mizmo?

If so, I would mix it 50/50 with the Buckton's and try them on that. See if lightening up the feed that much gives you some control, while not totally changing the feed in one hit.

Give it a try.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
24/05/2020 8:40 am  

This is how youngsters should react to the whistle and there not starving there it’s just routine from day 1 there’s 45 youngsters there and in on the call 

This post was modified 4 days ago by jmccall

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4