fanciers leaving th...

Notifications
Clear all

fanciers leaving the sport

George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter  

going on the number of fanciers on facebook calling it a day is alarming they just seem to have had enough 

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

George, anything you read on Facebook is usually only the bit of the truth they want you to know.

I got rid of it about 7 years ago. It is an open sewer running through a lunatic asylum.

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter  

i'm on pigeonchat facebook so it's members only

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Some people will be giving up because of health reasons but I think the majority of those giving up were probably going to anyway and just looking for a reason to do so. The trouble is with Facebook and also some of the forums, you only ever really hear from the moaners. You don’t hear from those that are happy to continue. The moaners just seem to want to bring the sport down and think everyone should see it the same way as them. I see it all the time on pigeonchat.  It is a lot different than years ago though. I think the biggest loss to the sport is the social side. I can only speak for down here but would imagine it’s the same in most parts. I think that social media hasn’t helped here. You see it every week during the season when results are put up mid afternoon on race days. They just can’t seem to wait to get the racing over. When I was younger the club was at a local pub. We would be there until closing time after doing the birds or clocks on a Friday and Saturday night. We would often meet up with other fanciers on a Sunday. During the winter we would have a meeting every third week, when again we would stay in the pub after the meeting. We would have a club show and a dinner dance. None of that seems to happen now. I also don’t think these online auctions help. There’s little reason now for fanciers to get together. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter  

miss the weekly shows

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @andy123

Some people will be giving up because of health reasons but I think the majority of those giving up were probably going to anyway and just looking for a reason to do so. The trouble is with Facebook and also some of the forums, you only ever really hear from the moaners. You don’t hear from those that are happy to continue. The moaners just seem to want to bring the sport down and think everyone should see it the same way as them. I see it all the time on pigeonchat.  It is a lot different than years ago though. I think the biggest loss to the sport is the social side. I can only speak for down here but would imagine it’s the same in most parts. I think that social media hasn’t helped here. You see it every week during the season when results are put up mid afternoon on race days. They just can’t seem to wait to get the racing over. When I was younger the club was at a local pub. We would be there until closing time after doing the birds or clocks on a Friday and Saturday night. We would often meet up with other fanciers on a Sunday. During the winter we would have a meeting every third week, when again we would stay in the pub after the meeting. We would have a club show and a dinner dance. None of that seems to happen now. I also don’t think these online auctions help. There’s little reason now for fanciers to get together. 

Used to love them nights back in the 70s, when I restarted about 11 years ago we had a prize giving do  and then they stopped them and never bothered since but we still used to stay in club on race and basket nights until late

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote