Christmas orders.

Notifications
Clear all

Christmas orders.

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

It may seem ridiculous on the 1st March, but I had an email today from one of our supplies saying that they are now taking orders for Christmas stock. They say because of issues of supply for some products that orders would need to be put in early to guarantee stock availability for Christmas. 

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Most company's start planning for Christmas in January / February then build up slowly, but can foresee some issues this year especially folks in Ireland

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @andy123

It may seem ridiculous on the 1st March, but I had an email today from one of our supplies saying that they are now taking orders for Christmas stock. They say because of issues of supply for some products that orders would need to be put in early to guarantee stock availability for Christmas. 

That is absolute rubbish, Andy.

They are trying to minimize their outlay and maximize the return. 

If there was a supply issue, they would not be able to produce the stuff they want you to sell for them.

If I were you, I would be sending an email back, saying that because you need to confirm that you have sufficient stock over the winter period, you need them to supply their projected stock range over that period. 

Say that you have requested the same from the other suppliers, and look forward to hearing from them. 

That might wake them up.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @murray
Posted by: @andy123

That is absolute rubbish, Andy.

They are trying to minimize their outlay and maximize the return. 

If there was a supply issue, they would not be able to produce the stuff they want you to sell for them.

If I were you, I would be sending an email back, saying that because you need to confirm that you have sufficient stock over the winter period, you need them to supply their projected stock range over that period. 

Say that you have requested the same from the other suppliers, and look forward to hearing from them. 

That might wake them up.

Generally Murray we don’t bother doing pre Christmas orders. Although they offer you good discounts on stock ordered early we find that nearer the time they always have extra stock that they are trying to shift on the run up to Christmas that they sell off cheap. The choice might not be as great but that doesn’t worry us. We don’t like to get in too much Christmas specific stuff in anyway as you are always stuck with un-sold stock. Things like toys can be put back for another year but treats usually have to be binned because of “sell by dates”. We’ve been in this trade long enough now, 17 years lol, to know that we can sell as much day to day toys and treats around Christmas as Christmas specific stuff. This can then just be left out after Christmas and sold all year round. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

Very true, that.

At my business, I learned years ago that the 'order now for the holiday period' offers are no use to us at all.

I run a service station. Over the festive season, everyone goes away to the beach or up north. We have a couple of very busy days, then twiddle our thumbs until they come back. 

We actually order less at that time of year. 

The reps all know me well enough now.They don't try to push stuff on to me.  Happy  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote