Notifications
Clear all

Bird training

Page 1 / 2

Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

I wanted to train my birds within a 30 mile radius from my house .  

So for now I am going West (from Midlands to bridgnorth ) I have been letting them go in a straight line (as the crow flies ) . As I heard that was the best thing to do ?

What i wanted to know is ,how many miles do I increase it by .so far I have been doing it by 2 miles and letting them go from the location three times before I move on. Am I doing it wrong or right ?

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Hi Mizmo good to see you back on. You are doing things fine by the sounds of things. Personally I start at around 7 miles then 15 and 25. I don’t train much though and never worry about jumping pigeons. You could move yours on quicker in bigger jumps if you wanted but there is no right or wrong way. If your happy doings it the way you are and the birds are coming well just carry on as you are. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

I start at 20 miles then 30 and finish at 50

Sadie's Loft's

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Mizmo,

Once they have had 6 or 8 tosses you can step them out a bit more.

I am always careful at first too. There are lots of hawks around here and I like them to have a few little ones to get the idea before venturing too far away. 

I usually go 2,2 4,4, 6, 8, 10 sort of thing. I just go to a few good liberating spots I have found. Then they can go 15 miles a few times. After that you can send them on with confidence. 

Like Andy said, do what feels right to you. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Posted by: @mizmo

So for now I am going West (from Midlands to bridgnorth ) I have been letting them go in a straight line (as the crow flies ) . As I heard that was the best thing to do ?

What i wanted to know is ,how many miles do I increase it by .so far I have been doing it by 2 miles and letting them go from the location three times before I move on. Am I doing it wrong or right ?

Sounds like you are doing well Mizmo, well done mate.

As others have said like everything in this game there are so many different ways and ideas so just do what works for you and keep it enjoyable. Personally I don't worry about too much about giving them short tosses first time out as they should be flying that far around home, I usually start around 15 miles and after a couple of those will move out to around 25 to 30 miles. I try to give them half a dozen or more before the first race and then stop these days although years ago I carried on training once a week right through the racing season, I'm afraid I seem to have less time now and have got lazy lol 😁😉 if you want to compete with the big guns in this game you have to put in the hours, for me it's more for pleasure now. 

All the best mate. 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@andy123 I think the only thing I'm worried about is losing them . I initially started at 1 mile then moved up from there. I just feel as though its taking too long to get to my desired 30 miles 😩

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@buster121do you lose any birds whilst doing this? I would've thought that is a big jump 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@murray I always let them out in a park ,I've never done this before so I wouldn't know what is right . Currently I am at 13 miles from home (driving distance ) 11.6 miles (as the crow flies) so shall I increase it by 5 miles .

Also some of the birds are laying eggs does it matter if I'm making them fly ?

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

@murray I always let them out in a park ,I've never done this before so I wouldn't know what is right . Currently I am at 13 miles from home (driving distance ) 11.6 miles (as the crow flies) so shall I increase it by 5 miles .

Also some of the birds are laying eggs does it matter if I'm making them fly ?

Not a little toss like that they would probably fly more than that at home

Sadie's Loft's

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

@buster121do you lose any birds whilst doing this? I would've thought that is a big jump 

Sometimes if hawks and falcons go into them, but normally no

Sadie's Loft's

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Every training toss is a risk and to be honest every time you let them out anything can happen to them. 

Provided you let them go in reasonable weather they should be ok from a fair distance. 30 miles certainly shouldn’t be a problem. 

Unfortunately if you are worried about losing them you need to think about what you want from them. It is regrettably part of the sport that pigeons will get lost or fail to return for one reason or another. If racing you would probably expect to lose around half in any one year. 

Jumping pigeons isn’t a problem and you could easily go straight to 30 miles, certainly now you have had a lot of short ones. My race birds will be jumped from probably a 25/30 mile trainer into their first race at around 130 miles. 

You do need to watch when laying when racing and in the basket for a couple of days but from short trainers shouldn’t be a problem. I would still abstain from training when due to lay or for a couple of days after laying though. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Winfort Lofts
(@winfort-lofts)

Hello,

I'm curious as to why your heading out west rather than south? 

Is it that it's a convenient route for you? 

I'm also West Midlands based, and my plan for the Young birds will be to head down towards Cheltenham!

Search for Winfort Lofts on Youtube!

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input guys ,I'm not racing them.its something my little ones look forward to ,so I thought I could just do a 30 mile radius with addition to site seeing 😀.

I will do a 10 mile jump and see how they go .would it matter on time of day ,because they use the sun as a indicator ?

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@winfort-lofts  not racing so that's the reason for my route, I will eventually go south too and maybe go beyond 30 miles in that direction 

ReplyQuote
Winfort Lofts
(@winfort-lofts)

@mizmo Ahh very well, I can see where your coming from now then 🙂

Normally as a semi rule I say my birds have to have flown twice the distance over multiple tosses.

For example, if I'm planning to toss at 30 mile, then they must have flown atleast two times at 15mile, or three times at 10 miles etc.

They should be ranging more than 5 miles from home when just normal flying around the loft. It is also said that when the birds are up in the air, they can see for 25 miles on a clear day!

Search for Winfort Lofts on Youtube!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2