Clear all

Training young birds and old birds  

Page 2 / 2

Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
20/05/2020 9:39 pm  

No offence taken, Andy.

The point of the discussion is to discuss our views on training and preparation.

If we all thought the same it would be a short discussion! Laugh  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
21/05/2020 6:59 pm  

Just thinking that I may have been a bit harsh in my comments about training youngbirds, especially for new starters. I still stand by my comments that you can’t train pigeons to home and you shouldn’t look to get pigeons fit by training. Unfit pigeons won’t train properly. Good pigeons are born good and can’t be taught to be good. 

Thinking about my swimming experience I obviously had to be taught to swim and play waterpolo, but this isn’t a natural thing for us. For the pigeons flying and homing is perfectly natural. 

What isn’t natural for our pigeons is to have to trap on command, spending time in a basket, be taken away from their home in a basket with lots of pigeons unknown to them and leaving the basket to fly home. These things do have to be taught. 

A lot of this training can be done and is done at home. This is why I don’t feel that the distance of training isn’t all that important. As with my swimming the important part of training after the initial learning to swim is the starts, turns and finish. The bit in between is pretty much irrelevant. In a sprint race of 50 meters or 100 meters where the 8 swimmers can be split by a second or two, a bad start, a poor turn or a miss calculation on a finish where you come in half a stroke short and have to take an extra one can be the difference between 1st and 8th. This is the same with our pigeons on short races. Slow to get out of the basket, a mistake in direction or a bad trap can make all the difference. In the longer races it is more down to stamina and the will to keep going, this again can’t be taught. 

So in conclusion training of the basics is important. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
21/05/2020 7:53 pm  

Do agree there

ReplyQuote
jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
Estimable Member Registered
21/05/2020 9:17 pm  

Training youngsters for the first if you take 40 youngsters straight to 20 mile chances are you will get them all together

put them up 1 at a time you won’t see half of them again first time but start them off as a bunch then smaller and smaller until on there own your now teaching them to home for themselves not follow the pack and one that follows the pack can never win 

If you flock train consistently with just your own birds sooner or later you will get a hawk strike or clash and loose big if you’ve taught the birds to home alone from a short distance they will generally find home sometimes hours even days but this makes better pigeons of them 

if the first to e this happens is in a race mile from home chances are the pigeons lost or coming home in a box which does nothing to aid its racing abilities 

so in short I do believe you teach them to home as for urgency widowhood,nest position, etc are all the motivation and urgency comes with these and finding what causes individual pigeons urgency 

once over the youngster stage then NO it’s not essential to train as you’ve already installed the hardware it’s just a reboot to get em going again that’s what widowhood is all about making it a working mans method 

This post was modified 7 days ago 2 times by jmccall

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
21/05/2020 9:44 pm  
Posted by: @www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk

Training youngsters for the first if you take 40 youngsters straight to 20 mile chances are you will get them all together

put them up 1 at a time you won’t see half of them again first time but start them off as a bunch then smaller and smaller until on there own your now teaching them to home for themselves not follow the pack and one that follows the pack can never win 

If you flock train consistently with just your own birds sooner or later you will get a hawk strike or clash and loose big if you’ve taught the birds to home alone from a short distance they will generally find home sometimes hours even days but this makes better pigeons of them 

if the first to e this happens is in a race mile from home chances are the pigeons lost or coming home in a box which does nothing to aid its racing abilities 

so in short I do believe you teach them to home as for urgency widowhood,nest position, etc are all the motivation and urgency comes with these and finding what causes individual pigeons urgency 

once over the youngster stage then NO it’s not essential to train as you’ve already installed the hardware it’s just a reboot to get em going again that’s what widowhood is all about making it a working mans method 

I’ll accept what your saying John and all good advice for the new starters. But it’s not the experience I have had in over 40 years of racing. Only very rarely trained mine with anyone else, nearly always on my own and all together. All about finding a system that suits you and your birds. 

This post was modified 7 days ago 2 times by Andy123

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
21/05/2020 10:52 pm  

Each to there own. we've tried starting at 5 miles and 10 miles and had some disastrous  tosses and not even the first time out either. So  what we do now is start off at about just over a mile in batches of about 10. I will take them and Paul will be at the home end I can watch them all the way home and we will speak when I think they are almost there after a couple of times they will go straight for home then we will cut the batch down to 5's another couple of these and they are normally ready to move on. The next distance is approx. 10miles 20 at a time  a couple there and if there doing it ok its to our favorite spot about 20 miles that's were they stay as many times as we can,we find after a couple of times there they do not even circle just zig zag towards home  again 20 at a time to start with the down to 5's or 6' at a time. A couple of weeks before the first race we will give them a few 30 milers. one point to add up to and including the 10 mile trainers the YB's are exercised around home first  to take some of the energy out of them otherwise they would come home and do there hour plus before coming in. 

Old birds are different they go straight to 20 miles and only about 5 or 6 times and a couple of 30milers, this is only to get there racing heads in gear the fitness is achieved around home were the cocks will do an hour twice a day and the hens do about 45mins twice a day, The hens would do longer but as they are fed a bit leaner than the cocks we find this is enough,Once racing starts our OB's are never trained exercise around home is all they get. This year will be a bit different because of the Covid situation but they have been doing there hour but only once a day as we didn't know for certain that racing would be on. We should start on the 6th June and there last trainer might be this weekend as I'm back to work next week and can't really go back for a week then take a weeks holiday even though I'd like too.   

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2