Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Training spots  

jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
Estimable Member Registered
27/05/2020 1:23 pm  

Thought this might be a good topic and interesting to see others training spots and what you like to see in a location 

personaly with all the BOP around your most likely to get a strike while birds are circling so I look for a spot that I can see as far as possible and the higher the better as  BOP strikes from above so the higher I am the less of an advantage they have if there about 

the other Thing is openness I don’t like it if they have to try launch up straight out of basket because of obstructions anyway here’s my Favourite training location youngsters are kept here once to this stage and go in pairs before moving to the next one this is 18mile point to point and at the minute go in batches of 16 halved each day 

my second spot is at 35 mile and this is where I usually go with old birds or youngsters once racing starts releasing 1 basket at a time I do this off the top of the van as there is a small fence but the van is only for training pigeons I don’t even take the baskets out and is sorn over winter and stored it has 196000 miles on it and goes through mot no problem and cheap as chips to run 

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
27/05/2020 2:07 pm  

Two nice videos there great locations only thing I see is that fence they seem close to it when leaving basket, I use a place in Kidderminster same outlooks and see for miles

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
27/05/2020 7:14 pm  

Unfortunately the video's don't play very well on my tablet but they are lovely looking locations John. 

When we flew North Road I always used to take my birds Old and young birds about 24 miles to a playing field in a village just north of Loxwood, I only ever used that one spot. These days flying South road and living right on the coast I mostly take the birds West towards Portsmouth. My favourite spot is just above Goodwood race course which is about 14 miles, this is where all my birds start off, again old and young alike. I then move onto either the Witterings which is about 22miles and on the coast or Funtington which is around 24miles and further in land, I tend to alternate these two locations depending on the traffic or time of day I go. Traffic and work commitments are my biggest problem as it can easily take an hour and half to get just 20 miles and back again so I have to go early in the morning before work while the traffic is quieter, at the moment it's more of a nightmare as during the day all car parks are packed and anywhere you can get a car in seems to have a car parked in it 😡😡 Although I do mostly train west as it's slightly easier than going east I don't mind which direction I train in as I want the birds to use their brains and go be able to find their way back if they get dragged the wrong way in a race especially when they are across the water as they could come in east or west of me. I too like a nice clear location with plenty of all round visibility, I don't mind a few trees being around but I am very conscious of pylons and cables. My old birds generally only get two or three trainers before they start racing, the youngsters will hopefully get half a dozen before racing but I do like to continue training them throughout the race programme. Next time I go I'll try and get some photos. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
27/05/2020 9:27 pm  

This is one location that I used to use regularly.

C65ACEE7 5B1C 4DEF BC85 8A98509F447C

A lay-by at Stonehenge. 

B51CADEC CE1F 4FB4 B041 5CB02673D225

Another spot on Salisbury plain.

These locations are to the East of me. They are 30 miles and quick and easy to get to straight along the A303. I could be there and back in a little over an hour. I stopped going there last year after having 3 successive hawk strikes. It was also in the wrong direction now I’m only racing over the channel being East of me.

This is the spot I used last year which is about 20 miles South of me. 

0FDFB60E 13D1 4E43 8861 93D6D87F2856
E8E5FC9C D5E9 45BC BC91 DBF8553894A0

This year I have found another place a further 5 miles South over looking Dorchester. I’ll try to take a photo on Friday. This is 25 miles South of me with the coast only 30 miles so can’t go much further before being on the South Coast. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
28/05/2020 6:15 am  

Nice and open there

ReplyQuote
jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
Estimable Member Registered
28/05/2020 9:53 pm  

Some nice spots there

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
28/05/2020 10:23 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

This is one location that I used to use regularly.

C65ACEE7 5B1C 4DEF BC85 8A98509F447C

A lay-by at Stonehenge. 

B51CADEC CE1F 4FB4 B041 5CB02673D225

Another spot on Salisbury plain.

These locations are to the East of me. They are 30 miles and quick and easy to get to straight along the A303. I could be there and back in a little over an hour. I stopped going there last year after having 3 successive hawk strikes. It was also in the wrong direction now I’m only racing over the channel being East of me.

This is the spot I used last year which is about 20 miles South of me. 

0FDFB60E 13D1 4E43 8861 93D6D87F2856
E8E5FC9C D5E9 45BC BC91 DBF8553894A0

This year I have found another place a further 5 miles South over looking Dorchester. I’ll try to take a photo on Friday. This is 25 miles South of me with the coast only 30 miles so can’t go much further before being on the South Coast. 

Your video doesn't play properly on my tablet either Andy 🤨🤨

Nice locations though and even better when you can get there and back quickly, I do hope you look both ways before letting the birds cross that road though bruv 👍🤣😂🤣

ReplyQuote