Forum

Notifications
Clear all

They have to be given a chance

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I had posted about this stray youngster before when she first came in.

It was on 17th August when I was in the loft and heard a thud in the Sputnik trap. When looking round I saw a pitiful Dark Chequer laying in the trap. On inspection I found it was a young stray that couldn’t stand up. I thought that she had broken both legs. She was also very thin and had a large whole in the side of her breast under her wing. 

I put her in a nest box with plenty of straw. I didn’t expect her to survive the night. I did contact the owner and told him of her condition and have kept in contact since. 

Surprisingly she did survive the night. 

This photo was taken the following day, 18th August.

205085B2 5CA8 4513 9D93 E0A59EFAE535

3 days later on the 21st she was starting to move around in the box. One leg obviously wasn’t broken but she wouldn’t stand on the other one. These 2 photos were taken on the 21st. One with her standing and the other with the hole under the wing repairing. 

24D5E2D6 4BFF 45A0 B440 78C4C7B0FFF3
0C6BEFCF 2995 45E6 888A C9F7E0B6853E

She has kept on improving. I let her out of the box last weekend to let her stretch her wings. She started coming out of the loft and flying up to the house roof. She did still spend a lot of time lying down and was visibly struggling with the damaged leg. But the last 3 days she has dramatically improved and is now starting to fly well with my own birds. This is her this morning.

CAC50AB2 39E8 4DAD BD94 243C7F9FC940

As said I have kept in contact with the owner who is from Derby. I have said that I would continue to just let her do what she wants. If she wants to go home she can. But we have also agreed that if she decides she wants to stay here I will keep her. She has filled out quite well now and is a nice pigeon. She still limps a bit on the bad leg. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Andy, That just does my heart good!

Well done you for taking care of that pigeon. It is a lovely little hen, and looks very happy. She knows she is in a good place.

I would say she isn't going anywhere now! 🤣 

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @murray

Andy, That just does my heart good!

Well done you for taking care of that pigeon. It is a lovely little hen, and looks very happy. She knows she is in a good place.

I would say she isn't going anywhere now! 🤣 

Have to agree with all you say Murray

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Not wanting to hijack a thread, but I had a wee pigeon stray in here a year or so ago. 

It made itself at home, but I did the right thing and contacted the owner, who drove about 80 miles to get it. 

I was a bit unhappy with the way he grabbed the pigeon and threw it in his hamper. But, it was his pigeon.....

Two weeks ago I was counting heads after that bad toss, and went, 'hang on, you don't belong here!'

Same wee pigeon. 

I let it be for a few days, it goes in and out like it was born here. So, last weekend I put it in the box and tossed it with the others. Home it came!

I won't report it again. The little hen has been through enough. It can stay here. 

Lovely little thing too. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Looks a nice bird Murray. I do think they need to be given a chance. I’m getting soft in my old age lol.

Roxanna found on under a bush in the garden yesterday. Completely flown out. Been put in the box the other one was in. Looking brighter this morning. I will keep it in for a couple of days and then it will hopefully clear. 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @murray

Not wanting to hijack a thread, but I had a wee pigeon stray in here a year or so ago. 

It made itself at home, but I did the right thing and contacted the owner, who drove about 80 miles to get it. 

I was a bit unhappy with the way he grabbed the pigeon and threw it in his hamper. But, it was his pigeon.....

Two weeks ago I was counting heads after that bad toss, and went, 'hang on, you don't belong here!'

Same wee pigeon. 

I let it be for a few days, it goes in and out like it was born here. So, last weekend I put it in the box and tossed it with the others. Home it came!

I won't report it again. The little hen has been through enough. It can stay here. 

Lovely little thing too. 🙂

Reminds me of a stray couple years ago, guy came to collect it and when we were talking from the things he was saying it was obvious he was going to kill it when he got back so I took it out his basket and let it go, he started so I said to him twa** like you piss me off it is a baby who has made a mistake, then I really started him off by saying,  or maybe it knows it is better away from you then said f off matey, that bird came back in and still here today

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well done Buster. I can’t understand people not giving youngsters a chance. 

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Just a little follow up on this post. 

The little hen is still here. Flying out with my others and seems quite at home. 

14C06981 D526 4FC8 8C4E A267173B217B

Now paired up with one of my old cocks and sitting pot eggs. Don’t think she’s going anywhere now. I’m going to transfer her and see how she goes next year. It’s just whether she will be mentally right when going back in a basket. Only time will tell. 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @andy123

Just a little follow up on this post. 

The little hen is still here. Flying out with my others and seems quite at home. 

14C06981 D526 4FC8 8C4E A267173B217B

Now paired up with one of my old cocks and sitting pot eggs. Don’t think she’s going anywhere now. I’m going to transfer her and see how she goes next year. It’s just whether she will be mentally right when going back in a basket. Only time will tell. 

Great mate hope she repays you

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

That's great to see.

Seeing them come right like that is it's own reward. 😀 

ReplyQuote