community

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Shocked by the NFC Fougeres Liberation today.  

Page 1 / 2

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
06/07/2020 9:44 pm  

Firstly congratulations to team Kulpa on another excellent result today, well done Steve and Paul. 

Unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to add the video to this post but I watched the liberation of these birds on the NFC website today and have to say was utterly appalled by the amount of birds that hit the floor leaving the baskets, if these liberations are watched by Joe public or even worse animal rights activists it will do our sport no favours at all. In my opinion the bottom rows of baskets are far too low these days, the row between the wheels is absolutely ridiculous and has purely been added to get more birds on a lorry. Surely it would be better to have a third lorry and fewer birds on each one !!! When we flew in the Portsmouth federation years ago we never used the bottom row and usually tried to avoid using the second row as well. I also noticed in the clip that the birds were heading for what appears to be some kind of poles and possibly buildings which are opposite the lorries. There is no wonder that many birds go missing if they are getting injured on liberation, in my opinion the NFC should be ashamed of themselves. 

Sorry for my rant and well done to those fanciers and birds that made it into today's result. 

jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
Estimable Member Registered
06/07/2020 9:54 pm  

I have to say I sent 7 and have 5/7 home Flying 381 miles and in excellent condition the nfc do a great job in looking after I say well done 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
06/07/2020 10:04 pm  
Posted by: @www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk

I have to say I sent 7 and have 5/7 home Flying 381 miles and in excellent condition the nfc do a great job in looking after I say well done 

Well done John a great result for you mate and I hope the other two turn up as well.

I do think it's sad though if you think seeing birds hitting the floor like that is acceptable, I'm not saying the birds aren't well looked after on the lorry and another clip on their site clearly shows they are but I still say that those lower baskets are completely unnecessary and seeing clips like that does the sport no favours in the public eye. 

Just my opinion, all the best. 

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
Estimable Member Registered
06/07/2020 10:33 pm  

I’ve not watched the liberation but I’m led to believe the transporter drops the flaps in sequence to avoid this happening No matter how you release nearly 10,000 pigeons there’s going to be some kind of contact 

live now 6 from 7 with one very game old cock dropping in at 9.55 and all in great condition considering been in baskets 4 days and flown 381 mile 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
06/07/2020 10:38 pm  

Well done John and Steve & Paul. 

I do agree that it is horrible seeing the number of birds that hit the ground on liberation. It’s no wonder we get the odd birds back injured. Unfortunately I think it happens on most liberations just due to the amount of birds coming out together and the birds from the top baskets pushing the lower ones to the ground.  

You also get the same though if you let you birds out from the back of your car. Some will hit the floor. The trouble is that as the birds leave the basket they haven’t actually started flying and drop before doing the first couple of wing beats to get lift. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
06/07/2020 10:40 pm  

@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk

Great to hear John. A very good bird to keep going. 14 hours on the wing. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
07/07/2020 6:03 am  

Well done everyone, some went close but did not hit the ground, John they were libbed as one batch not rows, some flaps never opened and the birds inside were trying to get out and probably stressing due to it

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
07/07/2020 6:04 am  

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
07/07/2020 6:08 am  

There were a couple that almost done a somersault as they hit the ground mate. They could easily be seen in the slow motion part of the video. 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
07/07/2020 6:41 am  
Posted by: @andy123

There were a couple that almost done a somersault as they hit the ground mate. They could easily be seen in the slow motion part of the video. 

Yes I seen it yesterday when I viewed the video, I was just pointing out that although a bad lib in my opinion not all touched the ground some are just low due to the birds on top coming down

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
07/07/2020 7:56 am  

@buster121

yes mate, the majority didn’t touch the ground. I don’t think it can be helped with the weight of birds from above. As I said as they leave the crates the first thing they do when leaving the crates is drop until they start to fly. Didn’t get that when they were liberated from railway stations when all crates were on the floor. 

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Noble Member Registered
07/07/2020 8:38 am  

WD Team Kulpa

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
07/07/2020 8:45 am  

I watched that several times.

Some of the pigeons landing were slow out and were not pushed down at all. They had spent 4 days on the truck, and when they suddenly had to fly, they fell down.

I am surprised that there is not a staggered start on a transporter like that.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
07/07/2020 7:22 pm  
Posted by: @www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk

I’ve not watched the liberation but I’m led to believe the transporter drops the flaps in sequence to avoid this happening No matter how you release nearly 10,000 pigeons there’s going to be some kind of contact 

live now 6 from 7 with one very game old cock dropping in at 9.55 and all in great condition considering been in baskets 4 days and flown 381 mile 

Great to hear John, a gutsy bird, well done. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
07/07/2020 7:27 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

@buster121

yes mate, the majority didn’t touch the ground. I don’t think it can be helped with the weight of birds from above. As I said as they leave the crates the first thing they do when leaving the crates is drop until they start to fly. Didn’t get that when they were liberated from railway stations when all crates were on the floor. 

That's really my point Andy that there are obviously too many birds on the transporters. Those lorries seem very low anyway and those baskets down inbetween the wheels are ludicrous, it must be horrible for the birds travelling in them. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2