Forum

Notifications
Clear all

My winter routine

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

As said in another post I don’t get to spend anywhere near the amount of time with the birds that I would like during the winter. I can only get to see the birds properly in the mornings. 

I get up at 7am when it’s still fairly dark. I have a shower and some breakfast before going to do the birds at around 8am. Buy this time it is light at the moment. I scrape out, change the water and put some food down. I put enough down to last the day. This takes me about 45 minutes which just leaves me enough time to get ready to open the shop at 9am. We don’t close for lunch but have something to eat in the office often getting up to serve. We close at 5pm. By this time it is dark. I then go up to the loft and take away any food that is left and check all is well. 

We open 6 days a week. So the only day we get any extra time is on a Sunday when usually we have to do any of our own shopping. I am 60 next year so not too long before I can retire lol. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin

Its a hard time this time of the year, i was not to bad because i had lights in my lofts. This was a great help and gave me more time with the birds.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

As you say Andy at this time of year it is hard to find time to spend quality time with birds. I feed the birds in the half light just after 7 and leave for work between half 7 and 7.45, as with you the birds get enough food for the day as by the time I get home it's dark. Unfortunately due to her health and the fact I now have too many birds Lisa doesn't get involved anymore so the birds only get cleaned out at the weekends. I do have led battery lights in the loft so I can give extra feed in the evening if needed but I don't like to disturb the birds too much once they have roosted so won't clean them out. Now I'm finished working on the farm I do now have the whole weekend off which does make a big difference to me and I'm looking forward to only working a 4 day week in the new year. 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @trench

As you say Andy at this time of year it is hard to find time to spend quality time with birds. I feed the birds in the half light just after 7 and leave for work between half 7 and 7.45, as with you the birds get enough food for the day as by the time I get home it's dark. Unfortunately due to her health and the fact I now have too many birds Lisa doesn't get involved anymore so the birds only get cleaned out at the weekends. I do have led battery lights in the loft so I can give extra feed in the evening if needed but I don't like to disturb the birds too much once they have roosted so won't clean them out. Now I'm finished working on the farm I do now have the whole weekend off which does make a big difference to me and I'm looking forward to only working a 4 day week in the new year. 

What work do you do now then mate

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Posted by: @buster121

I'm working full time with our younger brother "Kev" Buster, we do most things garden based from general garden maintenance to laying paths, decking, fencing extra and at the moment we are snowed under with work 🤪🤪

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Of course we are in the early summer down here, it's light at 6 am so it is easy.

In the winter I have to but the lights (battery LEDs) on the feed them before I go to work, and it's getting dark by the time I feed them in the afternoon. 

With the trend to winter racing here it makes it hard.

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

I'm working full time with our younger brother "Kev" Buster, we do most things garden based from general garden maintenance to laying paths, decking, fencing extra and at the moment we are snowed under with work 🤪🤪

Good to see you busy, I thought you was still on the farm after the sale

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Good to see you busy, I thought you was still on the farm after the sale

I was for a while mate but officially finished at the end of October, very sad but it's good to be working with our bro 👍🤠 I can always find a job back in farming if I miss it too much 😉🤠

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote