community

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Just starting out  

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
24/05/2020 8:47 pm  

I didn't quite know where to post this topic, it might be better in the new starters section but I opted for here as I think its something we should all think about. In light of a couple of recent posts we all have very different and varied approaches to this sport of ours, which I hasten to add is part of the beauty of it. However it is an absolute mine field for the novice especially those who have no background with pigeons. Many of us were lucky enough to have been born into the sport or are from the era when fellow fanciers were only too pleased to give advice and help us on our way (as many on this forum still are) however we are all often guilty of thinking that our way is the only way and any other way is doomed to fail. None of us are the complete package or we would be winning every race we entered. There is always room for improvement and we can all still learn from others no matter how smart we think we are. Between us all there is an abundance of experience and variable amounts of success so its it's down to us to try and make it as uncomplicated as possible.

With this in mind my advice to the new starter is to gather as much information as you can from as many different sources but be careful not to get overloaded. Take small steps, find a set up you can afford and a system you can work with once you have gained some hands on experience and have established a team then you can start taking risks and tweaking your system to get the results you desire. Above all else be patient and be prepared for highs and lows and plenty of heartache. It can take many years to establish a good and reliable team of pigeons, you may well get some early success but be careful not to get carried away or your next race/season could well be very demoralizing. Remember any sport should be enjoyable and give you pleasure, the day it ceases to be either is the time to pack it all in. 

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
24/05/2020 9:38 pm  

I totally agree. All we can do is tell the new starters the way we do things or ways that we have found works and those that haven’t. We all have different goals and different lifestyles. It’s just a case of finding a system that suits us and our pigeons. 

As you say Trev it takes many years to build up a team and system that works for us and it all comes from experiences both good and bad. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered
24/05/2020 9:42 pm  

Great advice ,

ReplyQuote
chrisroscoe
(@chrisroscoe)
Member Admin
24/05/2020 9:57 pm  

a very nice read trev, i think most of us agree tho keep the loft clean lol 😀 but as you say dont overload on infomation i have been there and done that, but you have to work around your lifestyle.

Admin : https://www.ukpigeonracing.co.uk/
Enjoy the website and community.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
24/05/2020 9:58 pm  

Good advice there, I'm still trying to find a system Smile Smile  

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
24/05/2020 11:20 pm  

Good post, Trev.

I agree with all that you say.

I am willing to offer advice based not on many years of great success.

My views are based on modest success, and a huge number of mistakes. 

Bad lofts, wrong feeding, over medicating, undertraining, I have made just about every mistake you can make! Amazed Face  

If I can save someone from doing some of the dumb things I have done, and wasting time and money, that can't be bad. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Estimable Member Registered
25/05/2020 1:36 pm  

i think speaking as a beginer i would say be prepared to lose birds before you even start racing, if i had managed not to lose any i would have 16 birds now, not the 7 i have at present. But then maybe i have been more unlucky than some.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
25/05/2020 3:53 pm  

The most important thing in this sport is patience. It will take a long time and experience to build up a decent team. It is hard starting up Paul. Not only are you inexperienced and learning so are your birds. Losses will be higher when starting up. It will be easier when you have older birds of your own that know your routine and can help show the others. You will soon find that the ones that aren’t up to it will weed themselves out and you will be left with the good ones. These are the ones you can start to build a team on. 

The main thing is to give things time. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
25/05/2020 7:57 pm  
Posted by: @paul1

i think speaking as a beginer i would say be prepared to lose birds before you even start racing, if i had managed not to lose any i would have 16 birds now, not the 7 i have at present. But then maybe i have been more unlucky than some.

As Andy says at this stage you need plenty of patience, we have all lost plenty of birds over the years and still do today, it's just a little easier to live with when you have a more established loft. We all still make mistakes and lose birds we really shouldn't. 

ReplyQuote