Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Grit, feeding, other thoughts....

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter  

I have babies starting to stand up and wobble around in the nests. They are standing on leg bones that just a few days ago were so tiny I could put life rings on them. The parents are feeding them all day long, and, are hunting for minerals. I use a grit which is sea shells and pink mineral powder. In the 10 day period from about 7 to 17 days old, I swear they are feeding the babies equal parts of grit and feed. 😲 It is ad lib in the loft, and they devour it. 

I know some people don't feed grit, claiming it isn't needed. They may be right. But mine know where the grit bin is, and I find pigeons sitting on the lid, working out how to get in. 

It tells you something.

I have some first round babies just getting out of the nests, as I said. The pigeons are eating my usual mix, equal parts of peas, maize, sorghum, safflower and wheat. 

But! you cry. that's not enough peas and or beans! The babies need huge amounts of protein from legumes. Well, maybe not. They need a lot of protein but not always from peas or beans. Safflower has 16% protein. Really!

Wheat and sorghum have 11 or 12%, even maize has 9 or 10 %. My ordinary mix has about 13% protein and a lot of essential fats and carbs. By adding a few peas as required the full requirements are met. And the babies are shiny and full and happy! 

We were just having our dinner, and we said, where's the boys?

Ollie was asleep

Flynn was asleep

Banjo was asleep

It's a nice feeling when all your critters are fed, safe and warm. 

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

there was a university i USA that carried out tests on grit and pigeons the birds were locked up for 2 years without grit there findings pigeons did not need grit to break down the corn but a fluid in the gut would break down the corn some say they must have grit every day i remember the mnfc held over for 7 days sure  birds never had grit

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Posted by: @george-morgan

there was a university i USA that carried out tests on grit and pigeons the birds were locked up for 2 years without grit there findings pigeons did not need grit to break down the corn but a fluid in the gut would break down the corn some say they must have grit every day i remember the mnfc held over for 7 days sure  birds never had grit

Birds are often in the race panniers for days, especially from the distance races. They never get grit while in there. I do have grit in the loft most of the time but not worried if I run out. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter  

I am sure they survive perfectly well without grit, but mine certainly like it, and go looking for it. When they are about to lay, I find hens from the stock shed in the loft eating the grit. They must have a desire for the calcium for the shells. In the same manner, when they are feeding babies I often find pigeons behind the garage eating the dirt which is clay. How they know it's there I don't know. They must be able to smell it. 

I also have vegetables growing by the loft for them. Or I did. They have eaten the kale and the spinach down to the stumps. Only the silver beet remains, and they are pecking away at that. 

Yesterday I gave them celery, pumpkin, carrot, green beans and silver beet chopped up in the blender. That went down well. 😋 

I have found that if they are allowed to pigeons eat all sorts of stuff. It's interesting. 

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Mine have grit 24/7 veggies they never seem to bother with

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

mine  get cress 3 days a week   don't think it's water cress now but they do like it

ReplyQuote