Notifications
Clear all

Flying open loft  

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered
08/11/2020 2:39 pm  

Do any of you that fly open loft have any birds refuse to come in?  i decided to give my lot a bit more freedom outside the loft and yesterday left them out from lunchtime onwards, i normally feed them about 3pm and all but two came in for food, the two left out just would not come in and were out all night, they came in today eventually, after i let a few of the other birds out too. I would like to continue to give them more open loft but have i upset their routine of out for a fly then straight in for food. 

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
08/11/2020 2:51 pm  

Hi Paul good to see things are going ok for you, I have mine on open loft, they get fed around half and generally most of them come in pretty well but there are usually a couple that are a little slow. I wouldn't think the change in routine has upset them, the fact they stayed out all night would suggest to me that something had spooked them. I had a problem yesterday (which I'll put in another post later) and as a result some of mine were very reluctant to come in but thankfully they did before dark. As long as you don't over feed them in the morning they should all come in ok, are you feeding slighty later in the mornings now its darker ??? If so I would just keep them tight in the morning and give a little in the evening.

All the best and keep up the good work.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
08/11/2020 5:10 pm  

When I have mine on open loft I have had the odd occasions when they won’t all come in. I remember one night last year when I had 28 youngsters stay out overnight. Usually they all come in the next day. As Trev said it’s often that something has frightened them in some way. Before I moved the loft it seemed to happen more often. The loft faced West. I think that it was because they would come down from the house passed a tall tree and as they dropped past the tree the sun would cast a shadow of themselves on the loft and they wouldn’t land but fly back up onto the house roof. Not sure whether that was the problem but didn’t have the same problem this year with the loft facing South. Apart from when Roxanna painted the loft lol. They would come in fine next morning. 

Where do yours usually sit when not on the loft Paul? I don’t think you have upset them by just changing their routine. They should still come in when called. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Andy123

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
08/11/2020 6:26 pm  

when not sitting on the loft they will sit on roofs which i am ok with as i have lost a couple to hawks sitting on the loft roof. There were four birds sitting on the loft roof as these two were flying around like loonies so i don't think they were spooked.

i had to get the rest of the birds in as it was getting late and they needed feeding which i do once a day in the afternoon, once the others were in these two just flew around and landed on the house roof again, they did not even try and land on the loft.

One of the ones that were out was  the youngster i bred this year and have had no problems getting him in previously.

I do need to train some of the birds to the trap as about five of them only go back through the door which makes it awkward when one is out on its own.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
08/11/2020 6:39 pm  

Hopefully it will be a one off for them and they won’t do it again. They can’t have been particularly hungry. If you have a trap and one of the ones that goes through the door is shut out don’t worry. It will soon learn to use the trap if no other way into the loft. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
08/11/2020 6:52 pm  
Posted by: @paul1

when not sitting on the loft they will sit on roofs which i am ok with as i have lost a couple to hawks sitting on the loft roof. There were four birds sitting on the loft roof as these two were flying around like loonies so i don't think they were spooked.

i had to get the rest of the birds in as it was getting late and they needed feeding which i do once a day in the afternoon, once the others were in these two just flew around and landed on the house roof again, they did not even try and land on the loft.

One of the ones that were out was  the youngster i bred this year and have had no problems getting him in previously.

I do need to train some of the birds to the trap as about five of them only go back through the door which makes it awkward when one is out on its own.

Mine sit on the roof tops too Paul, it doesn't bother me as they have a clear view up there of any incoming predators. Even if the other birds seemed relaxed I still would lay odds on the fact something had spooked the other two, having said that it could well be youngster that lead the other bird astray as youngsters will often have the odd night out. The other birds will soon learn to use the trap, just pop them through it a few times and then shut them out if needs be, they will learn. 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
09/11/2020 1:52 pm  

i'm going back many years pigeons  who are not hungry will stay out all night that's what I found every time

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
09/11/2020 3:48 pm  

Today i had a visit from the local hawk, i had called the birds in and all but the young year bird had come in. The YB seemed to have trouble landing on the loft and flew up to the house roof, straight away i saw the hawk take it and disappear over the front of the house, i ran round to the front and scared the hawk off the bird but when i went to catch the bird it flew off.

Hopefully it will turn up tomorrow. 

Looks like i won't be flying open loft.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
09/11/2020 4:16 pm  

@paul1 that’s really annoying. Hopefully it has just gone to ground somewhere. Could still appear before dark. They can hide for sometime. That is certainly one of the disadvantages of open loft. Having said that you can have just as much trouble when letting them out for short periods. The hawk will sit in wait for you to let them out. Quite unusual for them to be hitting pigeons at this time of year though. 

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
09/11/2020 6:23 pm  

Good news, the YB is back, just been down to the loft and it was sitting on the roof, I tried to tempt it in the door by torchlight but in the end made a grab for it.

It's got a small puncture wound near the wing and has a couple of damaged secondary feathers but lives to fly another day.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
09/11/2020 7:02 pm  

Today i had a visit from the local hawk, i had called the birds in and all but the young year bird had come in. The YB seemed to have trouble landing on the loft and flew up to the house roof, straight away i saw the hawk take it and disappear over the front of the house, i ran round to the front and scared the hawk off the bird but when i went to catch the bird it flew off.

Hopefully it will turn up tomorrow. 

Looks like i won't be flying open loft.

I would suggest it was around the other day too Paul which would explain why the birds were reluctant to come down and stayed out all night. Good to hear the youngster has come home and is relatively unharmed, I have to admit that I have had a few hit in the garden which have managed to escape but I never saw them again so your little one has done well. As Andy said unfortunately if you have hawks around they will be a problem wether you are on open loft or not, they will soon learn when the birds are about. 

All the best mate. 

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
09/11/2020 7:09 pm  

Thanks Trev, i think i'll keep the YB in for a few days to heal and let the others out.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
09/11/2020 7:13 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

@paul1 that’s really annoying. Hopefully it has just gone to ground somewhere. Could still appear before dark. They can hide for sometime. That is certainly one of the disadvantages of open loft. Having said that you can have just as much trouble when letting them out for short periods. The hawk will sit in wait for you to let them out. Quite unusual for them to be hitting pigeons at this time of year though. 

The Sparrow hawk hen is unfortunately still a threat this time of year as she is feeding herself up for the winter although she's not as big a threat as she is in the spring. Mum has had a lot of trouble with them around her wild bird feeders, its mainly the song birds but she has had the odd dove taken. I've usually got lucky this time of year although I know the hawk is around, I have lost one two during the Autumn months but it is the spring when most of mine are taken. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
09/11/2020 7:14 pm  

Thanks Trev, i think i'll keep the YB in for a few days to heal and let the others out.

Probably a good plan that Paul 👍

I hope you don't have too much trouble mate. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
09/11/2020 7:48 pm  

Good news, the YB is back, just been down to the loft and it was sitting on the roof, I tried to tempt it in the door by torchlight but in the end made a grab for it.

It's got a small puncture wound near the wing and has a couple of damaged secondary feathers but lives to fly another day.

Great news Paul. 

ReplyQuote