Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Falling into the moult.  

Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered
19/02/2021 10:03 am  

A local bloke, who I encouraged into getting back into the sport, was talking to me today. 

He has bred about, umm hang on, lots, yep, lots of babies.

I breed my youngsters very much earlier than most Aussie fanciers. My young birds have all flown 10 miles a couple of times, and are now resting and growing through the moult. Starting to get a bit bare around the face. Seems pretty normal to me.

My mate was talking to me today, all his babies are falling apart in the moult. Amazed Naked.  

He gave them a triple vaccination for PMV, Rota virus and Salmonella last week. 

Yep, that might explain it. 

Regards

Murray.

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
19/02/2021 11:25 am  

Would certainly think so Muzza

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
19/02/2021 6:08 pm  

That would really have hit the birds immune system. Hope for his sake the feathers grow back ok. It will be a real drain on them growing so many feathers at once. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered
19/02/2021 7:13 pm  

Crazy ,

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered
22/02/2021 8:03 am  

Mine are just starting to go into the moult, a few just a little bit rough around the head and neck. One or two starting to lose their outer wing covers. Having a couple of late nests I wanted weaned and out before I dosed them.

There is a lot of talk about pigeons getting fret marks on flights from being treated with medications when they are moulting. That is, of course, utter rubbish. Pigeons get fret marks on flight feathers from being dosed with medications which are 10 times, or 100 times, or even 1000 times the correct dose. 

I used the EQUEST horse wormer. The stated dose is 0.4mg per kilogram. Simple arithmetic soon works that out. But we have a whole generation who cant do simple arithmetic. It isn't required anymore. 

I dissolved the paste in water, put it in the drinkers, and watched them. It was a pretty warm day, about 31c, so they were keen for a drink.

Now, that stuff stinks. Surprised  

But, some of them had a drink, shook their heads, had a think, and had another drink! Laugh  

They are all looking very shiny and well today. 

I am pleased I learned how to do arithmetic at school.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
22/02/2021 8:13 am  

Sounds good Murray.

Made me laugh when you said it was quite warm at 31c. If we had 31c we would say it was too HOT Laugh Laughing Out Loud  

ReplyQuote