Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Doing things backward

Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

There has been a terrific discussion on another thread, about big team flyers and their effect on modern racing. 

This has nothing to do with it. 

I have a very small operation, but, to me, it is just as important.

This weekend I am going to put all the cock birds in the loft, regardless of age.

I will take the nest boxes out of the small stock shed. I will put V perches in there and put most of the hens in there. 

Half a dozen old and precious hens will be put in more comfortable accommodations. {pear}:happy:  

I will fly the cocks out for another week or two, then they will all be put to sleep for May and June, the winter months. 

The races I am looking at start on August 28th. 

So, when the other bloke's babies are being dragged out to training tosses in June, when it is cold and wet and dark, mine will be sitting in a warm shed. They wont be flying around in the fading light, I wont be standing there shivering.   

What I am doing is 180 degrees, polar opposite, to the normal thing in southern Australia. 

But then, I have been called a lot of things. 

Normal is not one of them. {pear}:happy:  

Regards

Murray.

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

A man with a plan sounds good to me

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Sounds interesting Murray. It will be interesting to see how you do. 

Over here a lot of people keep their birds shut in all winter. Of course the big difference is we race during our summer unlike over there where you race during your winter months. 

You say the races your interested in don’t start until end August what type of races are these Murray? 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Andy we race in the winter , if Murray shuts his down how will he catch up ,unless they have a come back program ,jumping birds is only ok if fit ,shutting them down Murray how are you going to keep them fit , will be interested in your answer mate ,as you have me pulling my hair  out at the moment ,lol

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

@killer, there is a second program starting in August, flying with another club. Flying south east, with a Tassie race toward the end. 

With my job I cant train them in the dark days anyway. I leave when it's just dawn and get home in time to feed them, pretty much. It has to be July before I can get them going. 

The early races around here in the winter seem to have mixed results anyway, some good returns, some shocking returns. Cold, damp weather and pigeons not ready might be something to do with it. I don't know.

So waiting for longer days and better weather has to be worth a go.

I have tossed mine about a dozen times, so they know the drill. Every winter there are reports of local blokes losing 20 or 50 young birds at the first toss. The hawks give them hell around here, but there has to be more to it. 

As I once read, if you were disappointed last year, and nothing has changed, be prepared to be disappointed again. 

I plan to not do the same thing, and be disappointed. I plan to do something different. {pear}:happy:  

Regards

Murray.

buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Ok then then ,I prefer a latter start ,gives the birds time to moult etc , best of luck with the new club , 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

That’s a good analogy of disappointment Murray. I hope things work well for you. Daylight hours is very restrictive on what I can do with the birds during the winter. I wouldn’t want to be trying to get birds fit during our winter. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

I have to do something with them.

With Covid 19 last year, Rota virus the 2 years before that, and personal disagreements, I have pigeons which are retirement age and never been raced. 

You never realize what you have, until you see what someone else has. 

I am caring for a bloke's pigeons while he has a week away. He has some well bred pigeons too. Very nice. I let them out for a fly today, they were flying around, all happy and well. 

When I got home I let my spoilt mob out. I have become used to seeing them flying, so I pay no attention. After seeing someone else's pigeons exercising, I stopped and paid attention.

These things don't just fly around. They are racing at warp speed, coming down below TV aerial height, then arcing up over the gum trees by the Bendigo creek, then lapping the house several times, then  doing it all over. They are mental!

Far too fit for this time of year. 

I really do need to separate them, let them down and rest them through the dark days. 

Maybe, in the spring, we might have a bit of success. {pear}:smile:  

Regards

Murray.

buster121 liked
ReplyQuote