Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Difficult choices.  

Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered
19/01/2021 7:50 am  

I have some terrific pigeons, a family I have bred for the last 10 years or so. 

Now  have some unexpected additions to the loft. 

There is the 600 mile hen which strayed in.

There is the Billion dollar baby, and now I have the wee red Jos Thone's.

My loft isn't very big, it is full, and some of the original stock birds are 10 years old. I am simply breeding more of the same, every year. Don't get me wrong, more of the same is not a bad thing, but these additions can be a better thing. The out cross the strain needs. 

Sadly, some room has to be made.

I know what needs to be done, I just need to get brave enough to do it. 

Regards

Murray.

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
19/01/2021 8:16 am  
Posted by: @muzza

My loft isn't very big, it is full, and some of the original stock birds are 10 years old. I am simply breeding more of the same, every year. Don't get me wrong, more of the same is not a bad thing, but these additions can be a better thing. The out cross the strain needs. 

Difficult decisions for you. You’ve obviously a got good foundation with your own family that you have developed. You don’t want to lose that. Maybe you could just streamline these a bit. Keeping the best and some of the younger ones. Although the new additions look good they need to be tested. Seen it so many times where a fancier brings in new additions, gets carried away with them. Breed loads from them even sometimes have a bit of instant success with them. Then get rid of all their old established family and then find a couple of years later that the new additions aren’t performing any more. 

You know all this though Murray and I’m sure you will make the right choice. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
19/01/2021 9:36 pm  

It's never nice having to make those decisions but it is good to introduce new lines in our constant aim for improvement, as Andy says its important to keep your established team strong then as you say use the new lines as an out cross to hopefully improve the genetics of the loft. How you decide which birds to out is the tough part especially if you haven't been racing them for a bit. Are you hoping to get a few on the road this year mate ??? I'd get push them up the road before disposing of any or do have any way of offering them to new starters over there ??? 

I'm sure you will make the right choice mate, failing that build another loft Laugh Laugh  

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered
23/01/2021 3:24 am  

Muzza you can never have too many good birds ,so make more room ,other wise if you are going to cull ,look at resent performance & stop looking at paper pedigrees ,we have all made that mistake before ,anyway your a big boy lol, 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered
24/01/2021 7:50 am  

No I haven't raced since the Rota Virus buggered up the racing, then the Covid.....

I have 3 and 4 and 5 year old pigeons which have never raced, all getting too long in the tooth.

I need to clean a heap of them out.

I have a great team of babies and yearlings, and all going well they will get raced hard this year.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
24/01/2021 9:33 pm  

No I haven't raced since the Rota Virus buggered up the racing, then the Covid.....

I have 3 and 4 and 5 year old pigeons which have never raced, all getting too long in the tooth.

I need to clean a heap of them out.

I have a great team of babies and yearlings, and all going well they will get raced hard this year.

Good luck mate, I look forward to hearing how racing goes for you. 

All the best 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered
25/01/2021 8:21 pm  

That's if we dont get hammered by the Covid again, and the whole state gets locked back down. 

It's likely, as they keep letting people in from all over the place, and of course next thing there are cases appearing.

It will get away again, nothing surer. Then we won't be worried about racing pigeons.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote