Notifications
Clear all

Clocks changing next weekend  

Page 2 / 2

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
20/10/2020 7:30 pm  

@stevekulpa I presume you only pair up your stock birds then Steve or do you also pair up the race birds then split them? That’s what I used to do when racing widowhood. Do your second round youngsters also go onto darkness Steve? 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
20/10/2020 7:46 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

I suppose that it is beneficial to those who are really interested in young bird racing. Birds bred now will probably be paired up or on widowhood come racing time and be more like old birds. A lot of people here now use the darkness system but from what I gather if bred this early they don’t need to go onto the darkness. 

I still don’t agree with it though, but I’m not interested in young bird racing either. 

From what I understand a lot of our federation members have their youngsters on widowhood. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
20/10/2020 7:50 pm  
Posted by: @rainbow

I have promised  to gift so many ybs I will have to breed early

Well done George, it sounds like you could have an exciting year ahead of you mate. I look forward to hearing how it all goes for you. 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
20/10/2020 7:59 pm  

not sure Trevor very ill

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
20/10/2020 8:01 pm  
Posted by: @rainbow

not sure Trevor very ill

Sorry to hear that George, hope you are on the mend soon mate. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
20/10/2020 8:11 pm  
Posted by: @stevekulpa

We pair up over Christmas as that's when were off work and that's what suits us they will go straight on to the darkness system, But the second round will be no different by the time racing comes around. I don't think it makes any difference to the birds if you pair up in December its all about your mindset if someone in our club wants to ring there birds in December carry on. I think if I was at home all the time we wouldn't pair up until later as its to cold for me to be out there to keep an eye on them   Grin  

I have to say I went through a spell of pairing up on boxing day, as with you it worked well with time off work and did enable me to get more rounds from fewer pairings. The main reason I pair later now is to try and avoid losing babies to the Sparrow hawk, I have to say though I do prefer breeding babies when the days are longer with plenty of sunshine. As for moulting I find the later bred youngsters moult much quicker than the early bred ones. 

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
21/10/2020 10:11 pm  

No Andy we pair all the birds, and split the racing cocks up as soon as we can so they get a rest after bringing up there youngsters. We too have to be careful about the sparrow hawk with the first round YB's, Although  the last couple of years have not been too bad as the original hen is no longer around but we have a new pair moved in but up to now this one isn't as good as the old one the odd thing is they don't seem to bother the feral pigeons who are always on the roof behind us were they get fed. Yes Andy all our YB's are put on the dark even if bred later.  

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
22/10/2020 9:18 pm  
Posted by: @stevekulpa

No Andy we pair all the birds, and split the racing cocks up as soon as we can so they get a rest after bringing up there youngsters. We too have to be careful about the sparrow hawk with the first round YB's, Although  the last couple of years have not been too bad as the original hen is no longer around but we have a new pair moved in but up to now this one isn't as good as the old one the odd thing is they don't seem to bother the feral pigeons who are always on the roof behind us were they get fed. Yes Andy all our YB's are put on the dark even if bred later.  

Thanks for that info Steve 👍

We've had the Sparrow hawk around today but it made do with one of our resident Sparrows. I watched one on the farm the other day using the buildings as cover, the speed and agility of it flying through the yards barely clearing the roof tops is quite incredible to see. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
22/10/2020 10:50 pm  

We have a resident sparrow hawk hen here. At present she hasn’t shown any interest in the pigeons. She does take the odd small birds and has had a couple of collard doves in the garden. I have seen her sitting on the chimney while the pigeons have been out, but she takes little notice of them. The pigeons have seen her off a few times. I don’t want to do anything about her as I feel that her place would soon be taken by another one that might be much more troublesome. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
23/10/2020 7:56 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

We have a resident sparrow hawk hen here. At present she hasn’t shown any interest in the pigeons. She does take the odd small birds and has had a couple of collard doves in the garden. I have seen her sitting on the chimney while the pigeons have been out, but she takes little notice of them. The pigeons have seen her off a few times. I don’t want to do anything about her as I feel that her place would soon be taken by another one that might be much more troublesome. 

I'd say you are very lucky Andy and as you say are better off keeping her there 👍 when our local hen is on the hunt our pigeons don't get the chance to see her off she just appears from nowhere. Fighting  

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
24/10/2020 2:14 pm  

The one that's hanging around here hasn't managed to take one,  yet the old one was a master at taking them but as our are locked up until march we don't need to worry yet

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
25/10/2020 7:15 pm  

A little clip showing how fast and dangerous these birds are, love them or hate them they certainly are amazing hunting machines. 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
25/10/2020 8:49 pm  

They certainly are agile. That bird has done that route several times. A great bit of photography. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2