Notifications
Clear all

Clocks changing next weekend  

Page 1 / 2

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
18/10/2020 9:23 pm  

With the clocks changing next weekend and the evenings getting darker earlier I will have to change my routine to only letting the birds out and fed once a day in the mornings as it will be getting dark by the time I finish work. I haven’t split the birds up yet and not decided yet when I will. Probably won’t be long and once they stop going out. The birds are looking well now and on their last couple of flights. 

Is anyone going to be breeding early? I know the rings are available from 1st December. I won’t be pairing up until mid February at the earliest especially as I’m not planning on racing the youngsters at present. 

Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
19/10/2020 8:04 am  

I have 10 first round babies just starting to fly. Is that early enough? Smile  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
19/10/2020 9:31 am  

@muzza Laugh Laugh  

Do you alter the clocks at all over there Murray or is just us that are mad? 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
19/10/2020 9:55 am  

I don’t know how others feel but I still think it’s ridiculous that we can breed youngsters, hatching out in late November, and be putting a 2021 ring on them. I think we should go back to how it used to be with the rings not issued until 10th January. Then youngsters could be hatched until after 1st January. It just became a fight between different unions as to who could get the rings out first and really benefits the breeding studs. Now able to get more rounds out.

They say that the sport is in decline and I don’t know how much Louella have reduced their number of stock pairs but I see that apart from their batches of 6 distance families of January/February despatches and most of their March dispatch youngsters have already sold out. They sell them in batches of 6 or 10.

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Noble Member Registered
19/10/2020 5:45 pm  

Totally agree with you Andy. Money talks! Rings should come out in the year the ybs are born.

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
19/10/2020 7:30 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

I don’t know how others feel but I still think it’s ridiculous that we can breed youngsters, hatching out in late November, and be putting a 2021 ring on them. I think we should go back to how it used to be with the rings not issued until 10th January. Then youngsters could be hatched until after 1st January. It just became a fight between different unions as to who could get the rings out first and really benefits the breeding studs. Now able to get more rounds out.

They say that the sport is in decline and I don’t know how much Louella have reduced their number of stock pairs but I see that apart from their batches of 6 distance families of January/February despatches and most of their March dispatch youngsters have already sold out. They sell them in batches of 6 or 10.

I quite agree Andy, it does make a mockery of young bird racing really. As you say rings shouldn't be available before January 10th each year, unfortunately I think alot of it is more to do with the one loft races. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
19/10/2020 7:31 pm  
Posted by: @muzza

I have 10 first round babies just starting to fly. Is that early enough? Smile  

🤣😂🤣

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
19/10/2020 7:38 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

With the clocks changing next weekend and the evenings getting darker earlier I will have to change my routine to only letting the birds out and fed once a day in the mornings as it will be getting dark by the time I finish work. I haven’t split the birds up yet and not decided yet when I will. Probably won’t be long and once they stop going out. The birds are looking well now and on their last couple of flights. 

Is anyone going to be breeding early? I know the rings are available from 1st December. I won’t be pairing up until mid February at the earliest especially as I’m not planning on racing the youngsters at present. 

I probably won't change much until I split the birds up at some point in December, they will stay on an open loft and and twice a day feeding all the time Lisa is happy to do the afternoon feed 🤠👍 Once they are split up I will let the cocks out one day and the hens the next. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
19/10/2020 8:28 pm  

@andy123

We put the clocks forward two weeks ago. 

Of course, this being Australia, not all states have daylight saving. So if you drive over the border from New South Wales into Queensland, you go back an hour. Exhausted  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
19/10/2020 9:05 pm  

@muzza that’s even more confusing than we are Laugh Laugh  

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
20/10/2020 8:28 am  

I think it is pretty simple. 

2021 rings should come out on January 1st 2021. If you want to be determined to have babies ready for rings that day, good for you! Unless you have top birds and a top system, you won't win any more races than the blokes who breed a bit latter and are really good at it. Wink  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
20/10/2020 11:58 am  

I suppose that it is beneficial to those who are really interested in young bird racing. Birds bred now will probably be paired up or on widowhood come racing time and be more like old birds. A lot of people here now use the darkness system but from what I gather if bred this early they don’t need to go onto the darkness. 

I still don’t agree with it though, but I’m not interested in young bird racing either. 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
20/10/2020 2:05 pm  

I have promised  to gift so many ybs I will have to breed early

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
20/10/2020 4:51 pm  

@rainbow that’s great George, good that you have people wanting to test them for you. Well done. 

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
20/10/2020 6:42 pm  

We pair up over Christmas as that's when were off work and that's what suits us they will go straight on to the darkness system, But the second round will be no different by the time racing comes around. I don't think it makes any difference to the birds if you pair up in December its all about your mindset if someone in our club wants to ring there birds in December carry on. I think if I was at home all the time we wouldn't pair up until later as its to cold for me to be out there to keep an eye on them   :d  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2