Notifications
Clear all

cleaning oil off bird

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Had a phone call this morning from someone about 10 miles away saying he had one of my white pigeons but its covered in an oil like substance and can't fly. I went to collect it and sure enough it looked really dirty and oily, i got it home and have cleaned it in washing up liquid and warm water, it does look a bit cleaner but i am sure i can get more of whatever it is out with the right cleaner, so my question is what else can i use? the pic is how it was when i collected it.

[attach]6080[/attach]

killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

I think what you did was the only way you could of cleaned it with out damaging it , after the dish washing liquid ,rinse it off with clean warm water ,once or twice ,should do the trick , 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

As Killer says washing up liquid in warm water few times, unless you can get some stuff from somewhere like the RSPCA or similar, what they use to wash sea birds in when they get soaked in oil

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

ok thanks, i think i will have another go tomorrow, its looking a bit sorry for itself at the minute. I am keeping it isolated just in case its picked anything up.

[attach]6081[/attach]

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

It will look much better when it’s dried. Just do it again if needed. Looks like you’ve got most off though. 👍

buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)

Posted by: @paul1

ok thanks, i think i will have another go tomorrow, its looking a bit sorry for itself at the minute. I am keeping it isolated just in case its picked anything up.

[attach]6081[/attach]

get the hairdryer out mate  poor thing needs bit of loving

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)

Posted by: @buster121

As Killer says washing up liquid in warm water few times, unless you can get some stuff from somewhere like the RSPCA or similar, what they use to wash sea birds in when they get soaked in oil

waste of time for those poor seabirds they never survive..putting all that extra.stress cleaning the oil off.....waste of time.....its just advertising so people put money into the charity...wish they would tell normal punters  the truth

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

This is the same way we cleaned chooks up for the shows ,yep sad also for the sea birds ,not all die ,some come through it ok ,keep at it mate ,

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

well after a second clean this is the result, on its own it looks ok but compared with the other whites its still quite grubby, its also not flying too well it can get a couple of feet off the floor then drops, and one wing is slightly dropped when its sitting . I have put it back in the loft and will keep an eye on it.

[attach]6098[/attach]

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Looking much better Paul. Hopefully through preening he will improve on his own. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Posted by: @paul1

well after a second clean this is the result, on its own it looks ok but compared with the other whites its still quite grubby, its also not flying too well it can get a couple of feet off the floor then drops, and one wing is slightly dropped when its sitting . I have put it back in the loft and will keep an eye on it.

[attach]6098[/attach]

Good job mate, well done you 👍👏👏👏

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Topic starter  

@trench Thanks Trev, its still not 100% as it seems to struggle flying up from the loft floor but it seems happy so I'll see how it goes.

ReplyQuote