Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Changing direction

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Just wondering what other members thoughts are.

I read on pigeon chat a lot of comments from members on there saying they won’t be turning their pigeons North. Suggesting that a lot would be lost turning them. Are they suggesting that they don’t lose pigeons on the South Road? Saying that you can turn North Road pigeons South but not South Road pigeons North. Not all members agree though and some say that good pigeons will come from any direction. I think it is rubbish thinking you can’t turn them. 

I know you changed a couple of years ago Pete, how did you find it? 

I can understand people in fed and club racing who have only raced South and through a fairly narrow corridor being reluctant to turn them but I think with National racing it’s a totally different.

The biggest difference between racing North and South is the prevailing winds. On the South during the summer they generally have tail winds, S, SW. Obviously on the North these turn into head winds. There are certainly some birds that don’t like flying into a head wind. The winds from the S, SW though are warmer winds than those from the N, NE. 

The other thing that really gets my goat is when some seem to think that we have racing easy in the South. Yes from across the channel obviously our distances are shorter if they come on a straight line. But there are a lot of other things that make channel racing in particular hard for us in the South. 

If you take our 500 mile race and compare it with the fanciers a lot further North. Our birds have to cross the channel during the last 100 miles of the race when getting tired. There’s cross mid way through the race when still reasonably fresh. 

Also do they think our birds always hit the coast in line with our lofts. Of course they rarely do resulting in ours have to dog leg back generally against the prevailing wind and adding many miles to their race. There’s where ever they hit land are still going North and into a country where it gets steadily narrower the further up you go. 

Back to turning pigeons and us in the South compared to those up North. They can get a fair distance racing the line of flight inland before hitting the coast and then over the channel. Along the South to do any inland racing they have to go West to East or East to West before being turned South for the channel races. When I raced in Cornwall our inland racing was actually NE to SW, then when going over the channel they would be flying SE to NW. So we could be switching directions every week.

Anyway just some of my thoughts on it and what ever route we fly I will be sending and testing our birds. 

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Have to agree mate, they should come from any way,  mine usually come from the North or East any way as they get dragged over that way as I am furthest West in our club

a lot of them on chat only whinge and whine at every chance they are stuck in there ways and it's theres or none lol that is why I very rarely post I just keep up to date with things from there

This post was modified 1 month ago by buster121

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @buster121

Have to agree mate, they should come from any way,  mine usually come from the North or East any way as they get dragged over that way as I am furthest West in our club

a lot of them on chat only whinge and whine at every chance they are stuck in there ways and it's theres or none lol that is why I very rarely post I just keep up to date with things from there

I’m the same with chat mate. I do look at it but rarely comment. You only get criticised if they don’t agree with you. It’s the same ones all the time that seem to think there right. 

buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

I think it has a lot to do with the family some  have some will have out and out sprinters and can't see there birds flying north if things go well in first few races they may just try it

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

I used to race north one week and south the next week, depending on what distance the races were. 

If anything it seemed to keep them interested. 

A pigeon should home from any direction.

Regards

Murray.

buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Petedav
(@petedav)

I found it quite easy to turn the birds north, and didn't lose as many.

ReplyQuote