Notifications
Clear all

Celibate System  

Page 1 / 2

Sota
 Sota
(@sota)
28/09/2020 3:30 pm  

I have been researching this system and seen where the Kulpa team have used it successfully.  I researched their methods further and found some information online about their system.  Also, I noticed that they frequently visit this board.  Hopefully, they can respond to this post or those that know the system can help me.

1.  Cocks and hens are split after young bird season into sections with perches.  Do you use any nest boxes? Only one guy I know uses this system and he only uses perches no nest boxes.  I think I read they use some nest boxes but I am not certain about that.

2.  What size sections are used?  Same size for cocks and hens? (Probably depends on team size..mine will be small 20 hens and 20 cocks thereabouts.)

3.  After they are wound down from racing, they are confined to the loft for the winter.

4.  In March training is started.  They are settled into a training routine and given multiple tosses from 30 miles.  Before training a 4 in 1 treatment and a vaccination is given.

5. If the hens pair up, they use it to their advantage.... if the performance does not decline.  Do you breed from hens that pair up?  If performance declines, what do you do with the mated hens?

6.  Not as much information given about the celibate cocks.  Maybe someone could fill me in on the details.

7.  How often is garlic powder and 11 in 1 given? (Seen that they used these supplements.)

8.  Nest bowls are put on the floor of the hen sections on the day of basketing.  How long do you leave the bowls in the hen section?

9.  Do you ever let the hens and cocks together or see each other during racing season?

Feel free to fill in any details about the system.  I have never raced old birds only young birds but this system is one that would fit in with my schedule.  Also, I am in the process of designing a racing loft for old birds, so any advice on how to build it to fit this system would be welcome.  I have read their racing reports and see good results from this system.  

Best regards,

Sota

This topic was modified 2 months ago by Sota

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
28/09/2020 4:28 pm  

Some good questions there Sota. Steve (dad) and Paul (son) are a great couple of fliers. Also a great couple of guys. Steve is on regularly and I’m sure will be happy to answer your questions. Best coming directly from them. We done a members loft visit to theirs about 3 years ago, very impressive set up. 

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
28/09/2020 6:38 pm  

Hi Sota

Give me a bit of time and I will try to answer your questions, but I am very busy at the moment at work. Like now I've just come on and have two mins before dinner is ready. And I'm starving :d  

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered
29/09/2020 2:00 am  

They have been doing it out here for over 100 years ,also racing hens to the distance & some of us racing babies ,it’s not new to us ,but we race in the winter ,I would of thought Widowhood & the Jealously system would of been better over there ,due to the summer months that you race ,cheers  

ReplyQuote
Sota
 Sota
(@sota)
29/09/2020 3:34 am  

In my club old birds are flown from late March to early May.  Last few years of flying it seems that the weather has been warmer in the springtime here.  I know of only 1 flyer that flies something similar to the system above and he has good results and is competitive in his club and combine.  Any input or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Sota

ReplyQuote
Sota
 Sota
(@sota)
30/09/2020 2:54 pm  

@stevekulpa

Thanks for responding to my post.  I look forward to your reply.  

Sota

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
03/10/2020 1:23 pm  

Hi All 

Here goes. I will not go into a long detailed answer but try and keep it brief and to the point. But remember even with us these answers are not hard and fast we adapt according to the situation.

1.  After YB racing the birds are left together for a few weeks and flown out just to wind them down. after this the hens are moved over into the next section where they will be racing next year and the cocks will be moved into the widowhood sections and find there own box's. when we do this the old cocks are moved into the section where the YB's were.

2. The widow hood sections are either 8ft x 6ft or 8ft x 5 ft depends on what section they go into. the hen section is the same size as the yb section 5ftwide  x 10ft deep with the front 5ft being the aviary part.

3. Yes we confine them to the loft after we wind them down until early March.

4. Yes a 4in 1 treatment is given and the vaccination is required according to RPRA and MAFF rules.

5. It is inevitable that some hens will pair up but we don't encourage it. If they are working hard they don't tend to pair up in the normal sense but some hens will sit  together, We never breed from any racing hens unless we stop them either through injury or age they are never ever paired to the cocks. a note on this a friend came round and asked about the two hens that were really loved up on a perch and didn't we care, I said they have got 7 x 1st feds between them what do you think.

6.We tried celibate cocks and won a few races with them but they were in consistent although they may not have been the best cocks put on to that system ,When Paul moved out we done away with that system.

7. Aviform 11in 1 is used all through the breeding and racing season. We use garlic powder through  the winter but no hard and fast rule to when.

8. Again we don't do this anymore its too much messing about as Paul doesn't live here Friday night is a bit of a rush by the time he gets here.

9.No never.

Remember every one will have there own way of doing things find your own system adjust things to suit yourself if it doesn't work try something else don't be afraid to change things if its not working. I hope this helps answer a few things for you.

Steve

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
03/10/2020 4:28 pm  

@stevekulpa Great reply Steve. I’m sure it answers many questions. 

Just to answer another question Steve. I know we’ve been to yours and I remember seeing them but you obviously race your widowhood cocks to hens. How do you select the hens used for this compared to the celibate hens? I presume the widowhood hens aren’t raced? Do they fly out? 

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
04/10/2020 12:04 am  

The widowhood hens are made up from hens bred for that purpose plus  retired racers injured birds that don't recover enough to race again , We also normally keep some of our summer bred hens the same way bred to our top racers to use as widowhood hens. sometimes we  even may put stock hens to certain cocks that have performed well to see what there YB's turn out like and as they never fly out there's no chance of them getting out by mistake.

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
04/10/2020 12:04 am  

The widowhood hens are made up from hens bred for that purpose plus  retired racers injured birds that don't recover enough to race again , We also normally keep some of our summer bred hens the same way bred to our top racers to use as widowhood hens. sometimes we  even may put stock hens to certain cocks that have performed well to see what there YB's turn out like and as they never fly out there's no chance of them getting out by mistake.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
04/10/2020 8:01 am  

@stevekulpa thanks for that Steve. 👍👍

ReplyQuote
Sota
 Sota
(@sota)
04/10/2020 9:48 pm  

@stevekulpa

Thanks so much for the informative post!  I think I can work out a system from here with the framework you have provided.  Not much information around on this type of celibate system.  Glad I found you! Smile  

Sota

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
04/10/2020 9:57 pm  

Good luck with it Sota, keep us informed with how things go. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
05/10/2020 8:53 am  

Thanks to Sota for the very good question, and stevekulpa for the excellent answer. 

I agree with Steve on many points, and cannot comment on the others, because I haven't tried those methods. 

It is some good food for thought. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
05/10/2020 9:03 am  

I have only ever raced pigeons as young birds, with not a lot of success, old birds on the natural, with moderate results, and, racing widowhood cocks, where I have had a bit of success. Blushed  

It is interesting to read about other systems. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2