Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Blame the pigeons  

Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
14/01/2021 8:14 am  

I posted a reply on another thread, and it sort of got me thinking....

How often have you seen a fancier condemn pigeons which the bought from another loft? 

The pigeons have failed to perform, and the suggestion is that the breeder sold rubbish. 

I would suggest that those comments are made, year after year, by the same category of pigeon flyers. They spend some time being entranced by the pretty pictures and amazing results put up by successful fanciers. 

They send their money, and get a box full of small, shivering babies. 

The Babies are put in a loft which is as hospitable as Colditz, are fed peas and beans, because they read a book, published in 1950, that said they need peas and beans.

They are kept pretty hungry, because the wee inmates are none too keen on spending another night on a cold perch.

And then, when they start tossing the youngsters, They are dismayed to find that they are losing them at an alarming rate! If there are any left to race, the results are disappointing, the pigeons are dismissed as 'useless', and the search for the next victims begins. 

The pigeon breeding industry relies on these people to survive. Smile  

Regards

Murray.

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
14/01/2021 8:47 pm  
Posted by: @muzza

I posted a reply on another thread, and it sort of got me thinking....

How often have you seen a fancier condemn pigeons which the bought from another loft? 

The pigeons have failed to perform, and the suggestion is that the breeder sold rubbish. 

I would suggest that those comments are made, year after year, by the same category of pigeon flyers. They spend some time being entranced by the pretty pictures and amazing results put up by successful fanciers. 

They send their money, and get a box full of small, shivering babies. 

The Babies are put in a loft which is as hospitable as Colditz, are fed peas and beans, because they read a book, published in 1950, that said they need peas and beans.

They are kept pretty hungry, because the wee inmates are none too keen on spending another night on a cold perch.

And then, when they start tossing the youngsters, They are dismayed to find that they are losing them at an alarming rate! If there are any left to race, the results are disappointing, the pigeons are dismissed as 'useless', and the search for the next victims begins. 

The pigeon breeding industry relies on these people to survive. Smile  

I’ve seen it several times over the years. Not only do they regularly get pigeons in they rarely do any good with any of them. They seem to think that spending loads of money should guarantee success. The best way to have continued success is to have a good base family of your own and build around these. Most of the top fliers that are consistently at the top have a well established family built up over several years. They do look to bring in the odd new birds but usually from like minded fanciers. The best birds are often given free. 

The fanciers like the ones you mention will never do any good in the long term however much they spend. They generally breed far more birds than they have room for as they also think they will do better with big numbers. They may have the odd good season just by chance but then won’t stay good for long if they have no idea on how to breed them. 

ReplyQuote