community

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Birds seperated

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
Topic starter  

Since I started keeping the birds again in 2016 (thanks to brother Andy123) I have left my birds together and just left them to pair up how they like and kept youngsters from most pairs. I now have a good number of birds (too many really) and certain lines are starting to show more promise than others so this year I have decided it's time for me to take it on my shoulders to try and move the team forward  so yesterday I separated my birds. At the moment they aren't happy but should settle down in a couple of days, due to the avian flu restrictions the birds have to kept in and only let out for short periods so now is as good a time as any to do it. I will now keep them apart and let each side out for cleaning at the weekend only until early February when I will repair for breeding and to start my race preparations. Over the coming weeks I will study each birds records to decide who to pair to who and therefore which birds to breed from. I wont be breeding so many this year but my aim will be to breed more rounds from fewer pairs by fostering out the first round eggs under my race pairs so the chosen breeding pairs can go straight down again. When I look at my pairings I will also take into account my target races for each bird and will pair up accordingly with the aim being to get each pair ready for their target race. 

Good luck for 2022 all. 

Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Mine are always left together

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

i separate my birds back in early September and in previous years would more are less let them pick there own partners this year it will be 4 pairs all having raced i may try few unraced pairs which will leave about 20 birds to pair up as they like but not breed off them

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @george-morgan

i separate my birds back in early September and in previous years would more are less let them pick there own partners this year it will be 4 pairs all having raced i may try few unraced pairs which will leave about 20 birds to pair up as they like but not breed off them

Good to see you planning ahead George, look forward to seeing how your pairings work out for you mate. All the best

ReplyQuote