Notifications
Clear all

Aggression between birds  

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Estimable Member Registered
03/08/2020 5:44 pm  

I Have noticed over the past few weeks there is quite a bit of aggression between four birds and at times it can get quite nasty. There are two cocks who can’t seem to stand each other and are constantly at each other, even when out sitting on the loft one chases the other around until it moves off the roof, and I have noticed two others fighting too. 

Could it be because I only have 5 birds at present and the ybs are maturing, of the cocks that fight one is busters 2019 bird, and the other a ybd. Do I let them sort it out between them or is there anything I can do? 

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
03/08/2020 8:42 pm  

You will get this Paul, having so few at the moment won't help but they are just establishing a pecking order so just leave them to it, they will settle down eventually. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
03/08/2020 10:49 pm  

There is usually an uneasy calm within the loft with each pigeon having its own space. They will fight off anything that threatens that space. The problems come with young birds as they start to find their place in the loft and with old birds that have been missing from racing or training and when returning their space has been taken over by another bird. You do need to let them sort it out as you won’t be able to change it unless you remove one of the birds or continuously shut one in a box but as soon as you let it out it will start again. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
04/08/2020 9:07 am  

Yes, with only a small team of pigeons, your problem is about dominance.

As the others say, you just have to let them work it out.

Pigeons are often portrayed as a symbol of love and peace.

Big mistake.    Fighting Bruise  

This post was modified 2 months ago by Muzza

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote